Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation should i quarantine the cories im getting?

On wednesday im getting 3 pygmy cories from my LFS. i know you should always quarantine new fish but im going to be getting them before the store puts them in their tanks, so theyre straight from wherever they come from. i dont have a quarantine tank so im wondering if you think they will come in free of disease because they wont be in the stores tank water.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I would not risk it. If you are wrong then be prepared to treat the main tank. Which will cost you time, money, and possibly the lives of some of your fish. Save up for a QT.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #3

if i were to use a tub i have as a qt, can i get by just changing the water every day instead of having to buy a filter? i really dont have the money
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I see you've asked this question in another thread (will a fish bowl be okay as a QT for a week or two ).
Old 07-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf0311 View Post
On wednesday im getting 3 pygmy cories from my LFS. i know you should always quarantine new fish but im going to be getting them before the store puts them in their tanks, so theyre straight from wherever they come from. i dont have a quarantine tank so im wondering if you think they will come in free of disease because they wont be in the stores tank water.
Hello wolf...

If you're maintaining a clean tank and have healthy fish, the possibility of them picking up an infection from new fish is very remote. Inspect the new fish before you buy them. Bright color, not pale. Look for sores, scale damage or other blemishes. There should be no spots on the body that look like tiny salt crystals. Eyes should be clear and not popping out. The body should be rounded and the fish active, breathing normally and look well fed.

If they pass this inspection, you can be confident, they're healthy. If there's the slightest doubt, than pass on them.

B
Old 07-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with bBradbury, I don't quarantine my new fish either.
Unless you run a completely cycled spare tank what's the point.
Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and closely inspect the fish.
I believe your getting Cory Catfish. I have kept various types of cories for years and can't remember any of them dying due to disease. Just old age or being consumed by a bigger fish. They are tough little guys.
Good luck.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as risk assessment goes.

Avoid
Reduce
Review

If you can avoid adding them to your tank before quarantining then do so.

If you can't for whatever reason then reduce the risk of infection by following Bbradbury's advice.

Review the process after the event and see if you need to do anything differently.

It's up to you which way to go from here.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #8

ive decided to just use a plastic tub as a quarantine tank but its quite old and dirty, ive been rinsing and rinsing but the water still seems kind of murky, what should i do?
Old 07-12-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

First make sure the plastic tub was never used for household cleaning or ever contained toxic substances. Next only rinse it out with water.
Fill it with some of your cycled Main tank water. You will at least need to run an air stone in the tub, and maybe a spare filter if you have one.
I don't know how much water the tub holds but I would change 10% a day using your used main tank water. Keep the water temp. 75 - 78 degrees. Good luck.

Tags
cories, quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com