should i quarantine the cories im getting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolf0311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On wednesday im getting 3 pygmy cories from my LFS. i know you should always quarantine new fish but im going to be getting them before the store puts them in their tanks, so theyre straight from wherever they come from. i dont have a quarantine tank so im wondering if you think they will come in free of disease because they wont be in the stores tank water.

I would not risk it. If you are wrong then be prepared to treat the main tank. Which will cost you time, money, and possibly the lives of some of your fish. Save up for a QT.

if i were to use a tub i have as a qt, can i get by just changing the water every day instead of having to buy a filter? i really dont have the money

On wednesday im getting 3 pygmy cories from my LFS. i know you should always quarantine new fish but im going to be getting them before the store puts them in their tanks, so theyre straight from wherever they come from. i dont have a quarantine tank so im wondering if you think they will come in free of disease because they wont be in the stores tank water.

Hello wolf...

If you're maintaining a clean tank and have healthy fish, the possibility of them picking up an infection from new fish is very remote. Inspect the new fish before you buy them. Bright color, not pale. Look for sores, scale damage or other blemishes. There should be no spots on the body that look like tiny salt crystals. Eyes should be clear and not popping out. The body should be rounded and the fish active, breathing normally and look well fed.

If they pass this inspection, you can be confident, they're healthy. If there's the slightest doubt, than pass on them.

B

I agree with bBradbury, I don't quarantine my new fish either.
Unless you run a completely cycled spare tank what's the point.
Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer and closely inspect the fish.
I believe your getting Cory Catfish. I have kept various types of cories for years and can't remember any of them dying due to disease. Just old age or being consumed by a bigger fish. They are tough little guys.
Good luck.

As far as risk assessment goes.

Avoid
Reduce
Review

If you can avoid adding them to your tank before quarantining then do so.

If you can't for whatever reason then reduce the risk of infection by following Bbradbury's advice.

Review the process after the event and see if you need to do anything differently.

It's up to you which way to go from here.

ive decided to just use a plastic tub as a quarantine tank but its quite old and dirty, ive been rinsing and rinsing but the water still seems kind of murky, what should i do?

First make sure the plastic tub was never used for household cleaning or ever contained toxic substances. Next only rinse it out with water.
Fill it with some of your cycled Main tank water. You will at least need to run an air stone in the tub, and maybe a spare filter if you have one.
I don't know how much water the tub holds but I would change 10% a day using your used main tank water. Keep the water temp. 75 - 78 degrees. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom