Should I remove the glowlight tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
I seem to be having a few problems with one of my fish. It is a glowlight tetra (I had bought 2 in the beginning, 1 of them already passed to the big tank in the sky) that seems to be getting sick. He doesn't seem to eat (or atleast I don't see him come and eat) and also tends to hide away from the other fish. He still has a decent amount of orange down his spine.

My 3 zebra danios and 2 Albino cat's seem absolutely fine.

I personally would like to try to keep him healthy in a sperate tank, but I do not have the equipment to do so, so I need to decide if it would be better to remove him from the tank, or let him stay a few more days to see if things improve.

All of the numbers are in check (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH).

If it comes down to it, I may have to relieve him of his fishy duties and lay him to rest (Crushed ice water I heard is the most ethical)

Is there a reason to think he's sick? some fish don't always eat when you see them..

If his colouration is good then I would definately keep him. It's not uncommon for a single tetra to hide, they are afterall a schooling fish that needs a school to feel secure. Glowlights will school with Neon's and Black Neon's aswell. I would keep the danios, the 2 Cory cats (Corydora is their proper name) and add another 4 glowlights and not add any other fish after that. also I'm aware your tank is relatively new, so I'ld wait a little bit before adding any other fish. A 10Gal is a bit on the small side to have more then 3 species in, esp. when all 3 are schooling/shoaling fish.

If there is something that screams to you that he's not well then treating should be the first option. but I never get rid of a fish..

Oh and Welcome to AA (Missed your other thread)

Ahh, thank you very much Wizard!

I really don't want to get rid of him, but like you said, its a newer tank, so I don't want to add anymore fish right now either.

I'm going to hold on to him for as long as I can, he was my first fish in the tank, so i love him! (although, the albino cats are moving up on the love scale, they are so damn intresting to watch!)

Wait until MTS sets in and you get a bigger tank and you can have

Clown Loaches
SAE (they hover all over the place, pretty neat to watch them hover like a hummingbird)
and some other cool fish :) (but sadly a lot of cool fish get pretty big)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Wait until MTS sets in and you get a bigger tank and you can have

Clown Loaches
SAE (they hover all over the place, pretty neat to watch them hover like a hummingbird)
and some other cool fish :) (but sadly a lot of cool fish get pretty big)

Yep, i've heard of many stories where "ohh lets buy the cute little pleco", then the cute little pleco becomes "monster of the deep".

My brother has a pleco in his tank that was about 1 1/2'' - 2'' when he started in his 20gallon. Well, needless to say the pleco has grown, and my brother has moved up to a 55gallon. Now he is looking at 120gallon, lol. (Pleco is about 15-19'' now)

I basically want to keep small fish in a small tank. I want to create a perfect small tank/small fish aquarium =p

Back
Top Bottom