Should I remove the Mystery snails ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 5 Mystery snails a month ago for my 92g because i like the yellow kind and always wanted to see em cruising around in a bigger tank, and they have been fine but i awoke today to see one that was munching and totall decimated one of the big floating lilly pads on my red lotus.. I had to cut the stem off and toss it out as it was just gone, thankfully this red lotus has like 5 other huge hand sized lillies and 2 more coming up, but still..

Not sure why he was eating it, maybe lack of food in the tank for snails.. I dunno... They also keep uprooting my S.Repens im trying to carpet.. Every morning i have to replant like 3 of them.. Would you guys remove em or no ?

Last edited by a moderator:
They say they don't eat plants, but sometimes they do. My mystery snail totally ate my S. repens I was trying to start. When the snail died, I didn't replace it. Now I have S. repens.

You can try feeding cucumber or zucchini which is a good thing to do in any case, but if the snails persist you'll probably have to remove them.

They say they don't eat plants, but sometimes they do. My mystery snail totally ate my S. repens I was trying to start. When the snail died, I didn't replace it. Now I have S. repens.

You can try feeding cucumber or zucchini which is a good thing to do in any case, but if the snails persist you'll probably have to remove them.

Just saying it isn't easy to remove snails if they have bred already.

Hikari Algae Wafers are another source of food that snails really like

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A few mystery snails here in there are not a problem. Some folks are always worried they will have an outbreak. If you have to many then I have heard Assassin Snails work well. In the past I have found 2 large Clown Loaches for sale and they seemed to take care of the problem. I never saw them eat a snail but I never saw any mystery snails after that day :D

Mystery snails are larger and pretty easy to remove.

If a snail is hungry it will need to eat something. I also love Hikari sinking wafers, almost every aqua creature really enjoy the omnivore wafer in the orange edge package label, of course the algae wafers are great too. I usually buy the small (algae) wafers as the critters I feed usually are smaller and I don't need to break them up like I do the large ones. You can always try a different Mystery snail for that tank and watch how things go with the S. Repens.

It is also possible it was eating them because they were dying for what ever reason, like didn't have enough light or ferts. They will eat decaying plant mater and damaged leaves.

Yes, mystery snails do not reproduce unless you let them. Their eggs are large, salmon colored, above the water line, and easily removed. Egg clusters are at least 1 x 1/2 inches, often larger, and so are not easy to miss.

Omega one algae wafers, I'd do one a day ...

And what I heard about assassin snails is that THEY overpopulate worse than the snails they kill !

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Well I have 2 Assassin snails and they lay eggs but i have never had more.. I honestly would LOVE million assassins their shells look cool.. My 27G tank sadly has baby snails in it they look like Malaysian trumpets... but for the last 8 months I've had them they haven't gotten bigger then the size of a pen tip.. which is weird.. But whatever, not worried about that tank really..

and as for gold mystery snails breeding, meh mine never breed, I've never seen a egg sack above the water line not even once.. I do have 2 kinds of algae wafers.. I have the Hikari someone mentioned, and i have a big bag of Marineland wafers with zucchini...

I forgot i had them, i dont like the hikkari ones because they dissintegrate too quickly and turn into powder and my discus i noticed eat the powder and i found out thats why i had a couple discus bloated and ended up bouyant.. The Marineland ones the snails seem to like and they dont turn into powder after like an hour like the hikkari ones so my fish tend to stay away from them.

1 waffer deff isnt enough, with 5 golf ball apple snails, in such a large diameter tank, i have been tossing about 4 in the tank in each corner every other day...

Yes, mystery snails do not reproduce unless you let them. Their eggs are large, salmon colored, above the water line, and easily removed. Egg clusters are at least 1 x 1/2 inches, often larger, and so are not easy to miss.

They do indeed reproduce like all snails on their own and usually snails eggs are so small that you can't see them. For example in my tank I have an unknown type of snails and they have taken over without our intervention. In our case it is good because we never need to clean out the tank anymore of algae.

Back
Top Bottom