Should I Replace the Biowheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a used 5 gallon Eclipse Hexagon (yes, I suffer from More Tank Syndrome and finally gave in...) from Craigslist for a really great price. The tank is a little dirty from being in storage and could use a good clean, but I wondered if I need to replace the Biowheel? I know you're not normally supposed to replace Biowheels, but I don't know what's been in the tank with it or if it's still good to use.

Id just give everything a really good clean and after your satisfied that you have cleaned it well enough id get a couple low price fish and see how they get on once cleaned an u neutralize your water an get all perimeters how tgey supposed to be you should be i wouldnt change the bio wheel but if u go down that route it will purely just be like purchasing a new tank so will need to replace all healthy bacteria before adding fish

There's no bacteria left. The Biowheel has been in storage for years, it's all dried out.

I also suffer from more tank syndrome i also suffer with bigger tank syndrome starting with 125litre within a year i was up to 200gallons now i currently have 9 stocked tanks 2 devided 3 part breading tanks both 3ft and then i have recently have brought an added my 8ftx3ftx2ft tank unsure on capacity but im still looking for bigger

There's no bacteria left. The Biowheel has been in storage for years, it's all dried out.

Run it and see how it does. It may fall apart after being dried out like that. But it might be fine. My biowheel started torn and got worse and I hated the filter from day one.

Back
Top Bottom