Should I Upgrade My Filter Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kareem Monzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I recently bought my first ever tank and it just finished its cycle last week. Its a Juwel Rio 125L LED (33 gal) with a Juwel Bioflow 3.0 M with a flow rate of 500 l/hr (turnover is 4 x/hr). As you can see below, my tank is mid-heavily planted with a variety of plant species. I also dose Seachem Excel, Flourish and Potassium. I have no CO2 injection. I plan to keep 15 cardinals, 2 pearl gourami, 2 german blue rams, 5 ottos and 4 amano shrimp.

NOW, Juwel have an Eccoflow pump that can increase my flow rate to 1000L/hr increasing my turnover to 8 x/hr and would cost me just under $60 and I am strongly considering making the investment. However, I heard that plants prefer lower flow rates since higher flow rates can oxygenate the water. Would 8 x/hr do that?

Basically, would you recommend I change the filter to the Eccoflow 1000?

Looking forward to hearing back!

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 140
I run several of my tanks at 7-10 times turnover and haven't had any problems. I keep around 40 different species of plants and they are all fine. One thing to consider with higher flow would be the force of that flow pushing over your taller stem plants.

Tank Filtration

Hi all!

I recently bought my first ever tank and it just finished its cycle last week. Its a Juwel Rio 125L LED (33 gal) with a Juwel Bioflow 3.0 M with a flow rate of 500 l/hr (turnover is 4 x/hr). As you can see below, my tank is mid-heavily planted with a variety of plant species. I also dose Seachem Excel, Flourish and Potassium. I have no CO2 injection. I plan to keep 15 cardinals, 2 pearl gourami, 2 german blue rams, 5 ottos and 4 amano shrimp.

NOW, Juwel have an Eccoflow pump that can increase my flow rate to 1000L/hr increasing my turnover to 8 x/hr and would cost me just under $60 and I am strongly considering making the investment. However, I heard that plants prefer lower flow rates since higher flow rates can oxygenate the water. Would 8 x/hr do that?

Basically, would you recommend I change the filter to the Eccoflow 1000?

Looking forward to hearing back!

Hello Kar...

Why do you need to increase the flow rate? A filter with a gallon per hour (gpr) rate of four times the volume of the tank is really enough. You just need to remove and replace half the tank water every few days to maintain healthy water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

Hello Kar...

Why do you need to increase the flow rate? A filter with a gallon per hour (gpr) rate of four times the volume of the tank is really enough. You just need to remove and replace half the tank water every few days to maintain healthy water conditions for the fish and plants.

B

I think that you are ok also, if your decision will be based on how the plants do, give it a chance before you spend the money , you will see and learn, see how the fish and the plants do with the actual filter rate for at least 3 months and then decide. But honestly I think that you are just fine

Back
Top Bottom