Should i use this for driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did you get it? It looks like it can be used as a driftwood, but you need to be sure that it will not disintegrate if put in the water for a long period of time. If it is a hardy one, like the manzanitas, then you will be fine.

Watch it closely when you are boiling it and soaking it for days. Also, one technique I learned, put a little vinegar on any surface of that wood. If it will not bubble up, then it is safe for the tank, same technique to be used to test when you want some rocks/stones you found in your yard to be in your tank.

Wow thanks daileene and others, for your response. what i did is i went around my condomium and looked for rocks and driftwood for my new tank to make it look nature. I brought a bottle of ph down with me since i herd it was better or "stronger" then vingear. and i used it on a bunch of rocks that were calcium based unforently :( so i had no luck on rocks but i did find that driftwood laying around "near" but not in the creek, so i didn't know if it was acceptable. I'll be boiling soon and thanks in advance!

So I found out that that wood that I have not used in my tank yet is a railroad tie treated with creosol, which is a coal and tar substance that might explain why it looked burnt. Such a shame I have to scrap it but it saved my fishes lives.

wow. thank goodness you found out where it came from. you are so welcome. we are all here to help one another. :) I am always learning each day here. :)

Back
Top Bottom