should i vent my canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steffen707

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I built a canopy top for my 55gal freshwater tank. I put 2 coats of killz on the inside, and then 2 coats of rustoleum appliance enamel paint on the inside.

Its mostly sealed up. I was thinking if I don't vent it, i might have less evaporation.

Is this a problem? I've read i might need to allow gas exchange.

I do not have a glass top right above the tank, the light sits about 8" above the water line and the total canopy is about 10 inches tall.

Should I worry about water vapor seeping into the wooden canopy? I thought i sealed it pretty well with the products posted above.

I have a regular aquarium lid on my tank and I use a canister filter and an undergravel filter run by air pumps. One day I noticed all my fish at the surface gasping for air and noticed I had accidentally unplugged the air pumps. The air between the lid and the water surface was running out of oxygen. I plugged the air pumps back in and opened the lid for 10 minutes and they were fine. So you will need some way of keeping fresh air going into the tank. If you don't want bubbles in your tank. You can put hose connected to an air pump with a small air hose without an airstone just inside the lid to pump air under the lid without even putting the hose in the water.
I built a canopy top for my 55gal freshwater tank. I put 2 coats of killz on the inside, and then 2 coats of rustoleum appliance enamel paint on the inside.

Its mostly sealed up. I was thinking if I don't vent it, i might have less evaporation.

Is this a problem? I've read i might need to allow gas exchange.

I do not have a glass top right above the tank, the light sits about 8" above the water line and the total canopy is about 10 inches tall.

Should I worry about water vapor seeping into the wooden canopy? I thought i sealed it pretty well with the products posted above.

Back
Top Bottom