Showcase Fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dust19870

Aquarium Advice Newbie
37 gallon fresh water tank with the following:

2 Odessa Barbs
2 Bloodfin Tetras
5 Head Tail-Light Tetras

Looking to get a "showcase" fish and possibly another group of schooling fish.

Any Suggestion??

Bloodfins should be at least in groups if 5+, long fun danios are nice and also Praecox rainbows

I really love black skirt tetras. Hatchetfish are awesome ones that school together, and also bleeding hearts or serpeas. The last two are sometimes semi-aggressive and sometimes get along well. Flame tetras are another neat one.

paytertot said:
I really love black skirt tetras. Hatchetfish are awesome ones that school together, and also bleeding hearts or serpeas. The last two are sometimes semi-aggressive and sometimes get along well. Flame tetras are another neat one.

Serpaes* my bad

I have both Bleeding Heart Tetra's and Black Skirt Tetra's. I may have gotten lucky with my bleeding hearts because they are super sweet fish. However, I have black skirts in 2 different tanks and they are aggressive in both tanks. Not sure if this help. Just personal experience.

Critterlvrok said:
I have both Bleeding Heart Tetra's and Black Skirt Tetra's. I may have gotten lucky with my bleeding hearts because they are super sweet fish. However, I have black skirts in 2 different tanks and they are aggressive in both tanks. Not sure if this help. Just personal experience.

Really? My black skirts are very calm. What else do you have in with them?

Awesome ideas so far. Any idea's for a possible "showcase" fish? Or should I just keep to schooling fish?

Also, these may be dumb questions but what are your thoughts on angelfish and molly's? My girlfriend is obsessed with both but I have read that angelfish can be pretty aggressive. She also loves the Dalmatian and Black mollies

Dust19870 said:
Awesome ideas so far. Any idea's for a possible "showcase" fish? Or should I just keep to schooling fish?

Also, these may be dumb questions but what are your thoughts on angelfish and molly's? My girlfriend is obsessed with both but I have read that angelfish can be pretty aggressive. She also loves the Dalmatian and Black mollies

I have angels in my tank and do well with them, as well as discus. They're mostly only aggressive to each other, and it's not as bad as it looks. Also, they are more aggressive when you first get them, but they get more calm as time passes.

bump up all of those schools to at least 5. then i would suggest a pair of bolivian rams. my black skirt tetras are also very aggressive towards their own kind. they leave other fish alone however, unless the other fish is bullying another fish... in which case they all 6 turn on the bully lol. i would say instead of adding shcools, bump up the numbers to about 8 each. the larger the schools the more spectacular the schools look, and adding a ram or other dwarf cichlid would really bring the tank together. now, i would also say angels could be a good fit, but you shouldn't do them if you do black skirts.

Wow I've never had problems with my black skirts, either with each other or my angels, I must have gotten lucky haha :)

I really like cichlids but never thought I could get any because I thought they would be to aggressive. What other cichlids would be considered "milder" in terms of aggression to put in my tank?

You could do aot of cichlids in that tank. Rams, Angels, Apisto, Keyhole, Kribs. But I think a Rainbow Cichlid in that tank would be nice.

IMO, keyholes get too big for a 30 gallon. kribs are cool, but i wouldn't suggest getting a pair to keep them from getting too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom