shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjmds97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just wondering what shrimp are safe to stock with, mainly cichlids and other bottom feeders ex pleco or corys and if they aren't compatible what else would be really good cleaners? Thanks in advance for all the help =)

Probably none, but you may get lucky with dwarf cichlids and very large shrimp, although I've never attempted it.

What kind of cichlids are you talking about? There are some larger catfish species that seem to work better with the bigger cichlids

I have 2 loaches in with my cichlids, they seem to keep the bottom cleaned up and they dont get bothered by the fish, but I have a 6 foot long tank. lol

I've got blood parrot cichlids right now going to be getting a few others not quite sure what yet

Your Cichlids would make short work of any shrimp other than the larger, more aggressive types such as Macrobrachium species. Macrobrachium Shrimp are known eaters of any the smaller types of fish like Corydoras, Tetras or similar sized fish. They are also aggressive and territorial with their own species.

More information can be found on them here: http://www.petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.php

Most Corydoras are known to work with them. I'd get the larger varieties. Loaches are another. Some of the larger Catfish species and medium-sized Plecos would work as well.

If you have your heart set on crustaceans, crayfish may be another route to take. Since the Blood Parrot's are larger, and cichlids, they should be safe together. Just make sure that your Cichlids are large enough not to be threatened by the crayfish. Crayfish are good scavengers, but dangerous to smaller fish. Their main requirement is to have a place to hide after molting so that they don't become fish food themselves. They may also require the addition of cuttlebone or something similar to keep their shells strong.

Here is a good link to follow for more crustacean information: http://www.planetinverts.com/

I have a friend that tried keeping a P. alleni with Blood Parrots and they destoyed the poor alleni. Not all Parrots are born with misshapened mouths some do work and very well at that.

I have a friend that tried keeping a P. alleni with Blood Parrots and they destoyed the poor alleni. Not all Parrots are born with misshapened mouths some do work and very well at that.

Too true, I forgot to mention that. Some larger fish may consider crayfish food as well. I've seen larger fish and crays get along well together, but that doesn't mean they all will.

Back
Top Bottom