Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
What shrimp would get along with Platys and. A Gourami? I have other fish too, but I already know that they will be ok. What about Ghost Shrimp?

redsea said:
What shrimp would get along with Platys and. A Gourami? I have other fish too, but I already know that they will be ok. What about Ghost Shrimp?

My friend has the same fish u do. Ghost shrimp get along just fine w them. And they look pretty kick cool too haha, im actually getting some for my tank as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrissy420 said:
My friend has the same fish u do. Ghost shrimp get along just fine w them. And they look pretty kick cool too haha, im actually getting some for my tank as well.

Awesome! In a tank with refuge do you know if some of the fry will survive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost shrimp would work, but they can catch platy fry. Amanos, bamboo, red cherry, red crystal, etc. All would work fine and wouldn't eat the platy fry, however, the platys would eat any shrimplets.

redsea said:
Awesome! In a tank with refuge do you know if some of the fry will survive?

My friend heard sometimes their hard to breed but usually theyll be ok if they have places to hide.

DragonFish71 said:
Ghost shrimp would work, but they can catch platy fry. Amanos, bamboo, red cherry, red crystal, etc. All would work fine and wouldn't eat the platy fry, however, the platys would eat any shrimplets.

Ok thanks, I may go with some of those too, or maybe instead.

Chrissy420 said:
My friend heard sometimes their hard to breed but usually theyll be ok if they have places to hide.

Ok! Thank you for your help! Are shrimp pretty hardy?

redsea said:

I think the ghost shrimp are yeah. U dnt need salt w them, they help w food leftover from fish, I think their very usefull for tanks:)

I think the ghost shrimp are yeah. U dnt need salt w them, they help w food leftover from fish, I think their very usefull for tanks:)

Sounds great! Maybe I will get some soon! It is good that they ear uneaten food, maybe that will that will help lower my nitrates!

redsea said:
Sounds great! Maybe I will get some soon! It is good that they ear uneaten food, maybe that will that will help lower my nitrates!

:) good luck. Lmk how it all turns out!

That depends on the shrimp. Some are hardier than other, but I would not call shrimp in general hardy.
Just a heads up, some fish do fine with shrimp, others eat them like crazy. If I were you, I would do a test run with a few ghosties. I have tried to keep shrimp with multiple species of fish and failed. I even had guppies demolish my ghost shrimp. I agree that platys will eat shrimplets for sure. With enough plants, some may survive. You never know.

That depends on the shrimp. Some are hardier than other, but I would not call shrimp in general hardy.
Just a heads up, some fish do fine with shrimp, others eat them like crazy. If I were you, I would do a test run with a few ghosties. I have tried to keep shrimp with multiple species of fish and failed. I even had guppies demolish my ghost shrimp. I agree that platys will eat shrimplets for sure. With enough plants, some may survive. You never know.

Thanks, in your opinion, what are some of the hardiest shrimps that breed in the aquarium?

I have 5 platies and 3 guppies 3 gouramis, hdg, fire dwarf, and opaline. Not one of my fish eat the ghost shrimp. Maybe its just some fish are different than others. Clearly yous have had fish act a certain way then others of the same species another. Nature...

Thanks, in your opinion, what are some of the hardiest shrimps that breed in the aquarium?
I am not sure about that. I have (or have had) ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp, and rcs. My rcs seem to be pretty hardy. My ghosties were not as hardy as the rcs, but I am sure that depends on how healthy they are when you buy them.

I have 5 platies and 3 guppies 3 gouramis, hdg, fire dwarf, and opaline. Not one of my fish eat the ghost shrimp. Maybe its just some fish are different than others. Clearly yous have had fish act a certain way then others of the same species another. Nature...
Yep. Thats why I said, "some fish do fine with shrimp, some eat them like crazy." And, "you never know." Living organisms do what they want, not what we want them to do. Thats why I suggested she try it even though it didn't work for me.

absolutangel04 said:
Yep. Thats why I said, "some fish do fine with shrimp, some eat them like crazy." And, "you never know." Living organisms do what they want, not what we want them to do. Thats why I suggested she try it even though it didn't work for me.

lol yeah its unfortunate that you cant have them in your tank. Theyre a joy and very nice. I didnt think a guppy would eat a whole shrimp. Are they tiny? Or regular size?

lol yeah its unfortunate that you cant have them in your tank. Theyre a joy and very nice. I didnt think a guppy would eat a whole shrimp. Are they tiny? Or regular size?
The guppies pecked them to death one by one. They were about an inch or so. I was a bit surprised. I agree that they are a very fun addition to a tank.

I was so excited to add 12 ghost shrimp to my 100gall today...I netted them into the tank, they scattered and my tetras anhialated about half of them. I mean full on attacked. I think about 4 or 6 survived and have found hiding spots, but I'm guessing their days are numbered....even though I read ghost shrimp would be great tank cleaners and are compatable, I guess my tetras didn't want to share their tank. Ugh

mpuskar said:
I was so excited to add 12 ghost shrimp to my 100gall today...I netted them into the tank, they scattered and my tetras anhialated about half of them. I mean full on attacked. I think about 4 or 6 survived and have found hiding spots, but I'm guessing their days are numbered....even though I read ghost shrimp would be great tank cleaners and are compatable, I guess my tetras didn't want to share their tank. Ugh

wow. I have 2 blood heart tetras and they dont try to eat mine. Hope theyre all good.

Back
Top Bottom