Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cleggat said:
My 'amano shrimp' well atleast I bought it being told it was (he was smaller than an amano when I got him!) he's now 10 inches from tail to claw and growing like a weed! Here's a few pics I took last month, just a warning to you all beware of the beasts in disguise.

...that is one of those vicious fish killing long arm shrimp

Just to clarify that shrimp is NOT a ghost. Ghosts arent that vicious. I have never had aggression issues with the amanos and ghosts ive kept

I just started with 3 RCS in my 10 gallon yesterday.. I can only find 2 though and I am a bit worried. But so far they are way cute and fun to watch. Platys don't even pay attention to them.

I have an Amano shrimp (there were two, but one got eaten by my Monster Shrimp) and - recently - three Red Cherry Shrimps.
Monster Shrimps had been moved to a dedicated fish tank after eating my Amano shrimp, eight of my Guppies and a Glass Catfish...

Attachments

• image-508608814.jpg
    image-508608814.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2440722901.jpg
    image-2440722901.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 74
Dude your platies will probably eat most shrimplets unless there is alot of hideing space.

I love my ghost shrimps...have 5 of them in each of my 10-gallon tanks...they 're great cleaners...eating leftover foods that my fishes don't get to and fish poop...love the way they sometimes "fly" all over the tanks and take "hops" along the floor. Only problem is sometimes I can't find them.

I can attest to ghosts eating fish, I found one eating a harlequin rasbora last night. I've seen them try and grab my corys too. But for the most part, they're harmless, and do an AMAZING job at keeping the tank clean.

I have read reviews on petsmart where someone else found them group attacking a harlquien lol

I've seen ghost shrimp attached to a live cardinal tetra in my tank. I got rid of all but one tiny ghost shrimp.

iadubber said:
I've seen ghost shrimp attached to a live cardinal tetra in my tank. I got rid of all but one tiny ghost shrimp.

I totally agree, ghost shrimp are not allowed in any of my fish tanks anymore after multiple occasions of them attacking and killing my platy fry and adult platties!

People tell me they are harmless, or that I might have had a different species. But no, they were cheap Petsmart ghost shrimp

And don't get me started on the Whisker shrimp sold to me by Petco. They were even worse.

So use caution! ;)

gabysapha said:
I totally agree, ghost shrimp are not allowed in any of my fish tanks anymore after multiple occasions of them attacking and killing my platy fry and adult platties!

People tell me they are harmless, or that I might have had a different species. But no, they were cheap Petsmart ghost shrimp

And don't get me started on the Whisker shrimp sold to me by Petco. They were even worse.

So use caution! ;)

There are many species of shrimp sold as "ghost shrimp"

wow! I've been thinking about shrimp as well, but know nothing about them. so I have a 55 gal community. Are there certain community fish that red cherry shrimp will not get along with, or vice versa? Cleggat that shrimp you got looks fierce!

plattys-4
mollies-4
bristle nose pleco-1
pleco-1
neon tetras-10
cardinal tetras-5
glass cat fish-2
bala sharks-2
male beta-1
zebra danios-4
rummy nose tetra-5
silver tip tetra-4
dwarf gouramis-2

My shrimp only tank...

img_1690666_0_ef88f86a92e6f2e7ab1167907d71f01a.jpg

One of the inhabitants...

img_1690666_1_2674c5b0f5f4ff8c2a843cd143f988cb.jpg

The only thing idk about is the bala sharks and the betta. Bettas have been known to kill them but it depends on the fish. And balas get real big so idk if theyd eat them

akagochi said:
so my fish won't eat the red cherry shrimp?

Oh sure, your betta, gouramis, shark, and mollies might. Any fish will eat the babies. But if you provide cover the shrimp might be ok. It's worth a try with a few!

Back
Top Bottom