Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lafeet85

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI, I was just wondering if shrimp can be placed in a tank with other types of fish, or would they be eaten cos they are so small? Mind you I don't have any big fish, but I don't want to spen the money and find out that they all got eaten overnight. Please let me know.

I currently have guppies, corys, algae eaters and neon tetras. Sunny Queensland? I'm in Adelaide and just experienced all the sun to last me a lifetime today 41 degrees!!!!!!!. HaHa!

What kind of algae eaters? I would say go with something like ghost shrimp, they are relatively cheap to come by and are pretty tough compared to other shrimp, they may not be as visually attractive in terms of color variation, as they are clear but they are very active and entertaining.

On a side note, they will not breed in FW the shrimplets need brackish water. So if your goal is to have shrimp that will reproduce to counter off any shrimp that may be eaten than you should go for rcs which can be obtained fairly although not as cheaply.

I keep ghost shrimp and pearl blue shrimp in my tank. I dont have a problem with any of them, theyre kept with neons, glowfish and gbrs. Ghost shrimp are your best bet. Worst case you loss a doller worth of shrimp and you fish get a treat

Sorry I completely forgot that I replied to this thread.

I would suggest if you have some nice moss and plants you could get some red cherry shrimp. We have a tank of them on their own.

I've read on here that ghost shrimp can and do take down small fish so I would think they would take out guppy fry if you have any and perhaps annoy your corys?

I have red cherry shrimp. My pristella tetras are scared of them. :p

So does that mean I shouldn't get any? I have neon tetras. I really like the look of em, and I think they would really compliment my tank.

Lafeet85 said:
So does that mean I shouldn't get any? I have neon tetras. I really like the look of em, and I think they would really compliment my tank as I have white sand, and they would really stand out, even tho they are so small .

Moss is best. Java ferns also work well, they need surface area for hiding but also to scavenge food off of. The fish you listed shouldn't be a problem for small shrimp; keep barbs and cichlids away from them.

Good luck with those temps, I think it's going down to -10C here tonight ;0

Back
Top Bottom