Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Google local LFS in you area, chances are they will have them. If you can't get them locally you can order them online. Elite inverts is a good site you should look up. Also the shrimp farm sells nice fire reds for a good price.

Oh sorry, I meant us in a small room, I don't know why auto correct put root
It's size proportion is ok, but it's activity level is not, see a badis is a bit larger than a tetra, but it is slow moving
Imagine an Oscar in a 75 gallon, ok, but a tetra the size of an Oscar in a 75, no!
It's like, we are in a small room, trapped, our size is ok, but if our walking pace was 10 mph, then we would move too fast for the room
If you want for the shrimp to breed, then they are better off by themselves, even small fish will eat the baby shrimp

Oh, and many pet shops online have good prices, but shipping is usually 20-40 dollars itself, try craigslist or something like that, I got 10 RCS for free!

Walk in circles and that pace can be sustained, it again, isn't the size, it's what is in it that really matters. We wont die from walking in circles in a room, we will die because of toxic amounts of chemicals in the room, the fish don't care { from what I've experienced } about having to do the same thing all day, and they wont get stressed out. Tetras also tend to be more skittish and jumpy when they are insecure, look at a nice school in a healthy tank, they don't school that titely, and tend to hover and scavenge.

Badis would be a good idea, but be aware they rarely eat pellet/flake. As for the tetras clearly people disagree and think your tank is too small so do what they say or else all your fish brutally will die ;)

On a real note, do what you want, you learn one way or another what right and wrong. Just have fun.

You can do these
Shrimp only(especially for breeding)
Badis
Celestial pearl danios
Sparkling gourami
Snails
Can't think of anything else at the moment

No one said "your fish will brutally die". I was simply offering up what 10+ years of experience with neon and cardinal tetras (as well as many other species of Characins) has taught me. I've got 24 cardinals along with about 15 flame tetras in a 20 gallon tank right now that are active, bright, and group up when they see me to beg for food. They don't "hover" if you give them ample space. I did not recommend against this setup based on water quality alone (although I maintain a fishroom and probably change more water than most); as you can see I tend to stock heavily in some instances. I recommended against this setup based on the experience that a 5 gallon tank will barely afford an adult cardinal tetra any room to swim, much less a group. Embers are better suited to tanks under 10 gallons, IMO.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinions.

I'm seeing the great divide form here in terms of keeping fish and raising fish.. I for one intend to raise my neons and cardnals and rummynose tetras all in their perspective enclosures, none-of which contain any less than 20 gallons if water;) than again I've only been at this for a wee little while so what do I know. Prisoners walk circles in their cells, they smile sometimes..on ice cream day!! Better feed those neons ice cream once a week!

Lol everyone is entitled to their own opinions, some may be artificially come up with. I'm just speaking from a marine biology/ zoology third year major's point of view. Maybe I'm wrong ;)

Yea severum, that's the idea right there
Even my uncle disagrees with me, he says they need at least something like a 15 or 20, he has been keeping them ten for 40 years, he has a very advanced marine biology degree and actually worked for some of the most important aquariums such as the one in Albuquerque, in forth worth, and of course sea world
But yea, tell us what you end up with!

Back
Top Bottom