shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Workhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about adding some shrimp, likely ghosts, to my tank and I'm wondering how much of a bio-load they put on a tank. I know the rule of thumb for fish, but what is it for shrimp?

Ghost shrimp really do not contribute much to the bio load. I put in roughly 1 per gal in the smaller tanks and did not include it in the bio-load.

OK, thanks. Any recommendations for other types of shrimp?

I am a fan of bamboo shrimp. Right now I have one in my community tank. They are larger than ghosts and more colorful.

I'm in the process of stocking the tank. Right now there are four neon tetras, two dwarf gouramis, and two rainbows.

I have German Blue Rams, Hi-Fin Serpae Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Angels, Cories, and the lone shrimp.

I've thought about adding some ghost shrimp, but it says on the info card they require a small amount of aquarium salt. How will that work with the other fish I have? Currently, I have 4 Zebra Danios and 2 Cherry Barbs....and will be getting a pleco in the near future possibly.

Do barbs normally eat shrimp?

I just got 10 ghost shrimp tonight (second time for this tank, but didnt have barb before) and it wont stop chasing them. One kept latching onto it whenever it would try to go after it, but then after awhile the shrimp stopped moving :(

1 down, 11 to go.. :cry:

And AFAIK too, they are freshwater shrimp.

Well I put 5 ghosts in the tank before I went to work. I'll see how many I can find tonight. It will be a bit of an effort since I have white gravel and lots of places to hide out of sight.

I've got two wood shrimp (I think they are also called bamboo shrimp) and they are doing great. One even shed recently. I haven't had any problems with them and the fish. I have some guppies, mollies and Bolivian Rams. They just ignore the shrimp. As for bio-load, I wouldn't think that they would contribute much at all. For all the filtering of the water that they do, I never see them excrete anything.

I think my fish had a walking buffet yesterday. Not one shrimp in sight, though there are a few places that I can not see that they could be hiding out in.

Back
Top Bottom