Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Shrimp and Plecos?

I recently added a common pleco to a shrimp tank. It is about 4 inches long. I have a very dense canopy of floating plants, And I've noticed very little activity from my Shrimp since I've added him/her, Is my Pleco eating the shrimp. or are they hiding? Anyone here have any experience with such a mixture?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How large is your tank?

What species of shrimp?

Most every species will consume shrimp except for otos, snails, corys and probably a few of the nano species.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

55 long, RCS. I transfered him/her because I thought it would enjoy the addition of driftwood to the tank. I've been feeding algae Wafers. I thought all was good because I saw them all congregating around the wafer. That was shortlived. guess I should transfer the "wood" and pleco to a tank where they will be more compatible. Thanks LindaB!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

They are likely hiding. If you see one on occasion- they're still alive. RCS never get wiped out completely- unless it's medicine related.

I thought all mine were dead because I hadn't seen them in months. Tore down the tank for a move, moved my holly and plants- had well over a hundred- maybe 200 (started with 20).

Tags
pleco, plecos, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com