Shrimp breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so i would like to have a shrimp breeding tank, but i was wondering if anyone knew if the inch of fish per gallon rule still applies and if some shrimp don't get along.

Shrimp don't mind being crowded....my breeding tank doubles as a feeding tank so if they don't get along Fluffy my bamboo shark settles the dispute ^^

if the inch of fish per gallon rule still applies

Just wanted to mention that this rule shouldn't really be a rule. Someone somewhere about a gazillion years ago must've said this out loud and so it was considered a rule. Please forget you ever heard about it. :cool:

Just wanted to mention that this rule shouldn't really be a rule. Someone somewhere about a gazillion years ago must've said this out loud and so it was considered a rule. Please forget you ever heard about it. :cool:
I think it does help as a general guideline. It gives you something to BASE on. However. BIG however. It only helps if you consider all possibilties such as activity level of the fish, eventual size of the fish, swimming room, individual fish bioload, schooling, ect.

BIG however. It only helps if you consider all possibilties such as activity level of the fish, eventual size of the fish, swimming room, individual fish bioload, schooling, ect.

Which is exactly why I think it should be abolished entirely. There are simply too many "ifs". I think it's a really bad guideline for newbies. There's enough trial and error when you first start this hobby. Why add that to the mess..... :facepalm:

Which is exactly why I think it should be abolished entirely. There are simply too many "ifs". I think it's a really bad guideline for newbies. There's enough trial and error when you first start this hobby. Why add that to the mess..... :facepalm:
Yeah, but it begs the question, if you abolish it, what guideline do new fishkeepers use? Obviously it takes a lot of research to properly stock a tank, but a lot of things go right over a newbies head initially, so what is an acceptable, simple guideline?

I've kept fish for 12 years now and i still keep as a basic guideline but i know the bigger the fish the less it applies

The comments just keep making Lynda make more and more sense ;)

So many buts or ifs with that general statement.

I know there is more to consider but it is very overwhelming to consider stocking a tank without a... BASELINE! Thats what Im looking for! Its not a guidline a baseline! It gives you a place to start. You as the aquarist need to consider the factors after that. If we didnt have this baseline then you would have noobs putting 50 neons in a 10 and saying it was ok since they were small. It is somewhere to start

if you abolish it, what guideline do new fishkeepers use?

This is an easy one. You research the species you're interested in. Rather than a generic rule, doesn't it seem kinder to the individual species to base your decision on them specifically? C'mon boys, this was too easy. For a second there, I thought it was a rhetorical question. :lol:

This is an easy one. You research the species you're interested in. Rather than a generic rule, doesn't it seem kinder to the individual species to base your decision on them specifically? C'mon boys, this was too easy. For a second there, I thought it was a rhetorical question. :lol:
Ok think about it. How much easier is it to thnk like this. I want 1 red tailed shark and 6 swordtails. What size tank do I need? First, think fish=18 inches so at least 18 gallons (we'll say 20). Now are there certain restrictions? A red tailed shark gets to 6 inches and needs space to swim. Well a 20 is too narrow. So now we can figure that we need something obviously bigger. Soi it gives you somewhere to start.

No matter what "logic" you come up with, I'm afraid I will always have to respectfully disagree with you. And it's my prerogative to do so. I won't cross over to the dark side and you can't make me..... :cool:

Back
Top Bottom