Shrimp, diatom, and stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a huge diatom issue. Absolutely cannot get rid of them with scrubbing and frequent water changes. SO, I am looking in to shrimp. I've wanted shrimp for a long time since I lost my snail, Gary. I just cannot bring myself to get another snail, at least not yet. So I'm looking in to the shrimp route and might look in to a purple or blue mystery snail later on down the road.

What would be the best shrimp to get? I'm running towards the crystal shrimp for my tank to contrast the blue gravel.

Here are my options at my local aqauria store:

Cherry Shrimp
Blueberry Shrimp
Crystal Shrimp
Tiger Shrimp

My stock is currently a 20 gallon freshwater:
2 female fancy guppies
2 male platies
5 armoured Cory cats (pretty sure all males, no breeding has occurred)

What other fish could I add on top of the shrimp? I would like a more fancy looking female fancy guppy, if that's possible at all. Or another platy. The tank just looks lonely. How many shrimp can I add? Can I even add more fish if I add shrimp? My understanding is that the water to inches ratio doesn't apply to invertabrates

OR if I want more fish, should I sell my 20 and start up a 30? I'm sure my dresser will hold a 30, but I'm sure those are taller yet. I wish I had a stand, or room to put a stand in my room for a bigger tank. Any suggestions would be great.

I was going to plant my tank months ago. Then, we had a situation with my grandpa where I needed to live with him. Then he asked me to leave, so I did. Now, my dog has a big vet bill and so I cannot do a planted tank. But I'd like to take out the plastic plants (maybe after shrimp clean them because I cannot get these diatoms off to save my life) and add some Coliseum decor. There will be more space for my fish to swim and it will look nicer.

Here is my tank. I know I need to definitely get a curtain for my window. Anyway, any and all suggestions are welcome. I've only been back home for 2 weeks after being gone for 2 1/2 months while my parents took care of my fish. So, the tank looks filthy, needs a desperate water change and evap refill and they desperately need some more bloodworms. Totally out of money right now. So, more food for them will go on credit. I can't wait to get this tank back in tip-top shape.

My tank is next to my window and when I do water changes, I siphon in to a 2gal bucket, then dump in the bathroom. Is there anything where I can siphon out of the window? I need a longer hose for sure.

So much information and so many questions, I know. I'm sorry, everybody.

IMG_20170630_130016984.jpg

Back
Top Bottom