Shrimp Filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
so my 25 RCS are being sent today! and in anticipation of their arrival i have been thinking about a few small adjustments to my tank. i have a fluval 305 canister filter, and need to address the intake before they get put in.. i've been thinking about using panty hose and a rubber band to simply cover the existing intake grill, and keep them from getting sucked up. would this be sufficient? is there anything i need to do when cleaning/ rinsing the hose and preparing it to go in with the fish/shrimp?? figured id rinse them well in tank water first...

I also have a power head that i use for CO2 diffusion I have the tubing connected to the smaller airstone, which is then inserted into the intake of the power head, does this need to be addressed as well? or will the flow from the out put keep them out of harms way??

thanks everyone? let me know if i'm missing anything else here.

Panty hose and rubberband will work just fine. I'd just rubber band a filter pad to all the intakes to be doubly sure though. It won't take 5 minutes and you'd be sure nothing bad is in it. Some pantyhose is scented or washed with stuff like bleach and other cleaners.

You could get one of those sponge things that go over the filter too, or just get some foam (something safe for your tank of course ;) ) and secure it around with a rubber band

There are sponge prefilters or a media bag tied around the intake. I don't use either. I just return the shrimp to the tank when I clean my ACs.

I ran a K1 in a shrimp tank for quite awhile without a problem. As long as the PHs were high enough in the tank, it didn't seem to bother the shrimp. They freak and do the shrimp backwards panicky escape thing (technical term) as soon as they got to the area that had intake flow. If they swam across the output, well they were outputted to the other side of the tank, but they were fine and reproduced en masse.

thanks for the posts!

gonna try the panty hose thing to start, but i'm looking into the pre filters. are they universally adaptable to most filters or do i need to look for a specific fit?? i'm running a fluval 305 can..

There isn't any problem with the shrimp getting chopped up by the impeller?

My shrimp don't get chopped up by the impeller. :) I have a Koralia nano and I never see the shrimp on it at all. And if they get in the way of the outflow, they get a little ride on a stream of water. Mine is pretty high in the tank.

I just use a piece of pantyhose to cover the intact for our RCS tank. That way none of the babies get sucked in. I lose enough of them when doing a water change (ack)

Back
Top Bottom