Shrimp help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i want to start a shrimp tank so i can breed them and feed to a fig 8 puffer. i have a 2.5 gallon tank and i was thinking of buying a 5 gallon. i dont have room for a 10 gallon but a 5 gallon will fit under my stand and my gf wont kill me as long as she doesnt see it. i was thinking that as the shrimp would breed and get bigger i could put them into my freshwater community tank. I was wondering what is a very hardy shrimp that is easily bred. right now im looking on ebay at red cherry shrimp. i like CRS too but have read they arent as hardy.

red cherry shrimp is the way to go.

yea i figured because they are cheap enough. the only problem is they ship them by priority mail if you want over night its like another 30 but they have a DOA guarantee with both so i may just do priority cause its free.

There's nothing wrong with priority shipping, I've always sent mine that way. DOAs are pretty rare, and usually because of something that happens while the package is being handled, but not because they are bagged up for 2-3 days. Express is about 3 to 4 times the cost of priority so it really doesn't justify the cost unless you are dealing with a huge or expensive fish order.

Look at it this way, most fish are imported from other countries, they often spend alot more time in transit than 2-3 days and are crammed in their bags like sardines, so it's really not that long if you look at the big picture.

RCS have always bred the easiest for me, seems like you just have to add water with them.

You could breed another species of shrimp, even another variant of neocaridina like yellow, snowball, or blue pearl shrimp, they all seem to be fairly prolific as well but probably not as much as the red cherry.

They generally fetch more than red cherrys do as well, so it might become a concern if you look at them as dollar bills (or even 5 dollar bills in the case of high grade CRS) going into the puffer tank.

Homer8 said:
i want to start a shrimp tank so i can breed them and feed to a fig 8 puffer. i have a 2.5 gallon tank and i was thinking of buying a 5 gallon. i dont have room for a 10 gallon but a 5 gallon will fit under my stand and my gf wont kill me as long as she doesnt see it. i was thinking that as the shrimp would breed and get bigger i could put them into my freshwater community tank. I was wondering what is a very hardy shrimp that is easily bred. right now im looking on ebay at red cherry shrimp. i like CRS too but have read they arent as hardy.

Where are you buying them from to get free shipping? I want in! Lol

i wish i just knew someone that had them around me or someone that was willing to ship some to me for free and id pay priority shipping

Homer8 said:
i wish i just knew someone that had them around me or someone that was willing to ship some to me for free and id pay priority shipping

You can always post in the classifieds. I know a lot of people are selling them on here.

itschromesteel said:
I would check aquabid.

Definitely look at the invert section of aquabid!! There are some really good deals on there. Just be sure to check the sellers reputation, which there is always a link for on the pages.

Definitely look at the invert section of aquabid!! There are some really good deals on there. Just be sure to check the sellers reputation, which there is always a link for on the pages.

yea im gonna wait for a good deal to come by and im also going to put an ad in the classifieds. petco had them for $5 a piece and i would have done that if they were CRS but not for RCS.

Ive been selling them @ .75 each, 7.50 shipping, not many places youll find cheaper.

Id give them away but I paid a lot to start my colony and they cost to upkeep, not to mention the packaging process is very time consuming as well.

Ive been selling them @ .75 each, 7.50 shipping, not many places youll find cheaper.

Id give them away but I paid a lot to start my colony and they cost to upkeep, not to mention the packaging process is very time consuming as well.

that sounds like a great deal if you send me some pictures id like to see what i am potentially buy.

I have a thread in the buy/sell section somewhere.

i found the thread but it said you sold out. do you have anymore i would buy the 20 shrimp for $20 including shipping that you said you had or the .75 cents each thing. do you have anymore and how fast do they grow?

Attachments

• DSC_0880-1.jpg
    DSC_0880-1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom