Shrimp in a vase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title states it quite clearly. I'm OK with daily or bi-daily PWC... I'm I'm Beijing atm, and there's this HUGE underground fish... Place that sells TONS of fish (quite overstocked, the poor plates and plecos!) like Arowana (Asian, red, silver), plecos, blood parrots, cichlids, it's crazy (too bad I'll only be here a month!). Obviously, I can't cycle a tank in a month, even if I could whats the point. So yeah. Will maybe a gallon vase be able to home a few shrimp (RCS, ghost, etc.)? If so can anyone give me a number? There's some java moss I can buy if that'll help :l

Anyone? If I found maybe a small sponge filter, w/ cheap air pump, would that help at all? (Uncycled :l)

A sponge filter definitely helps. 1 gallon is not much at all to work with, so I don't know if many will recommend it. The problem is if/when water quality goes bad, it's going to go bad in a hurry, so the likely end result is a total wipeout.

But otherwise if you insist on doing it, keep a sponge filter in there and some moss or other plants, and change the water regularly.

How often would the WC need to be done? (Assuming there's not filter) can I just throw in some java moss, maybe gravel with some easy plants, and just be done with it? (WC weekly, bi-weekly, monthly?)

People keep shrimp in Walstad bowls but they're typically very heavily planted. Unless you're going that route I'd advise against it. The PWCs would likely come down to the amount of shrimp/plants you have but realistically it'd be quite often (several times a week potentially).

I had a 10 gallon tank with an air-driven sponge filter. It housed several hundred rcs at one point, no problems. As long as there's some circulation and a few live plants you should be able to keep a few shrimp w/out any worries.

I agree with azmodan, if you want to go the vase route you need to stock it full of plants. If you do this I would say 5-10 shrimp per 1g is fine and no need for water changes unless you notice poor growth.

I would get maybe a mini heater if temps aren't sufficient.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom