Shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
....It all started with those little 39 cent ghost shrimp. They are so entertaining to watch !

This^ I picked some up to help clean and because they were cheap... ended up being the most entertaining thing in my tank and now i'm considering a shrimp specific tank.

I have never had rams so I don't know too much about them. But I keep my RCS with tetras, gouramis, and loaches, and they do just fine. The adults will likely be left alone but you may end up losing some shrimplets...you just don't know until you try. Make sure you have lots of hiding places for them...moss really helps with the babies. I thought I would never see babies with my fish, but the colony is constantly growing. And like I said, don't just get a few (unless your tank is fairly small) or you won't really see them. You get get them at a place like Petsmart for around $3.99 (a little steep), or you can buy a bunch of them on AquaBid for around $1 each plus shipping...but usually you have to get a whole lot. Or of course you can look here for people selling them! I would be happy to send some to you for a reasonable offer...just name your price!

Cool ill keep that in mind for sure!!! Thanks a lot I appreciate it

Would red crystals be fine with a rainbow shark tiger barbs and loaches

I rescued 2 Amano (sp?) from my Angel tank & put them in a tank with 2 Bolivian rams, Platys & Sterbai Cory. Haven t seen them since. No one will fess up, would any of those fish eat them?

And do shrimp need sand

No shrimp don't need sand. I have seen shrimp in tanks with black gravel and other colours. It also depends on the water quality requirements of the shrimp. Sand can be useful in keeping a more hard and higher pH water.

Ok i have in my tank red cherry shrimp x10 amano shrimp x2 and armoured shrimp x2. They keep your rocks clean and keep parasites down as they eat them. I hardly ever see them as they are shy but they seem to keep nook and crannies clean as that is where they sit hiding from fish. Also the amano shrimp dig under your gravel eating the crap they find. In my opinion they do help , look nice and are interesting to watch when you find them.

I rescued 2 Amano (sp?) from my Angel tank & put them in a tank with 2 Bolivian rams, Platys & Sterbai Cory. Haven t seen them since. No one will fess up, would any of those fish eat them?

Any fish that could fit them in there mouth could be a suspect

They could be in your gravel or change black mine do that

Dang it! The male Bolivian looks the most guilty when I m looking for the shrimp. You know, avoids eye contact, starts whistling with his little fins pulled behind his back. It s all about body language :).

Dont forget they can change colour and are probably the best at camouflaging themselves in aquariums.

My shrimp are in with angels , gouramis and severums and they are fine. Get ocean rock with loads of holes and gaps for them to hide.

By mix I mean keep them together in the same tank. Where I'm from cherry shrimp normal get kept with white cloud minnows or neon or cardinal tetras

Back
Top Bottom