Shrimp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Basically my question is what's the big deal with shrimp?? Seems like a lot of people have them and I don't get what the big fuss is about them. Whenever I see them at my lfs I can barley see them because there so small. I get that everyone has there own opinion but I was just curious why people liked them.

Whenever I see them at my lfs I can barley see them because there so small.

They get bigger. ;) I have some red cherry shrimp. I think they look nice and are fun to watch, plus they eat the food that falls to the substrate.

They are strange and amusing. They can add a good splash of color provided they have the right environment, they clean the tank, and add almost nothing to the bio load. If you want a shrimp you can see check out a bamboo shrimp.

They are strange and amusing. They can add a good splash of color provided they have the right environment, they clean the tank, and add almost nothing to the bio load.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

I've never considered shrimp, but this thread prompted me to research more about them.

I didn t think I d ever get shrimp but I love these little guys ( I think they re called Red Crystal) & the one at the top of the pic is a recent baby which I never expected & I was so excited when I saw it!

image-593649219.jpg

I didn t think I d ever get shrimp but I love these little guys ( I think they re called Red Crystal) & the one at the top of the pic is a recent baby which I never expected & I was so excited when I saw it!

Those are actually really cool shrimp. Nice!!

Yeah, I've really been wanting some of them myself but the Crystal reds are sooo expensive

Couple bucks a piece. BUT! They are, when you get down to it, just RCS, therefore they should breed.quite easily and you should get a decent return on your initial investment.

The crystal reds are a separate species of shrimp. The crystal reds are Caradinia while the cherry reds are Neocardinia. Its a small difference but that difference in name denotes a seperate species of shrimp which wont cross. Sadly, they breed a lot slower than the cherry reds so are more expensive because of it.

You can expect to pay $5-$10 a piece for the crystal reds depending on their grade while cherry reds should run $1-$2 ish.

The crystal reds are a separate species of shrimp. The crystal reds are Caradinia while the cherry reds are Neocardinia. Its a small difference but that difference in name denotes a seperate species of shrimp which wont cross. Sadly, they breed a lot slower than the cherry reds so are more expensive because of it.

You can expect to pay $5-$10 a piece for the crystal reds depending on their grade while cherry reds should run $1-$2 ish.

It does depend on grade (PRLs can be $25 or so) but you can find S grade CRS for $3 each. Just depends on where you buy from.

Ok, sorry all, my bad, I was thinking of cherry reds then.

I love shrimp. I got a pretty good deal on my red cherries, but sadly, someone in my tank thought they were snacks. I think I am going to set up a small shrimp tank down the road with some crystals or oebt's. It all started with those little 39 cent ghost shrimp. They are so entertaining to watch !

I used to think keeping shrimp was strange too. But they really are fun to watch...my son and I can sit for quite a long time watching them do their shrimpy thing. Dwarf shrimp get to about 1" long, are very hardy (most of the Neocaridina species are at least), and and have babies that are teeny replicas of the adults...too cute! They also come in a huge array of colors! Blue, yellow, orange, red, pure white...and LOTS more. They are excellent tank cleaners (most of them) and are very peaceful. They hide quite a bit unless you have a bunch of them, then they get much bolder, even with fish in the tank. Mine even eat food that's right under the fish noses! Once you spend a little time watching them in a tank where they feel secure, which means you will get to see all their little amusing quirks, you will totally get how we can like our little shrimp so much!

I started with just a few RCS (Red Cherries) just to see what the fuss was about...and for some color and to clean up the substrate...about 3 months later I have over 160! They breed like rabbits! They totally ignore even my most aggressive fish and just hang out all day.

I am now breeding Blue Velvets, which have a beautiful bright blue color, and yellow-green eggs! They are a Neo species so you do have to separate them from other Neos (RCS) or they will crossbreed. They are in their own planted tank and doing very well...Again, I started with just a few, and now have four berried females! I'm sure in a few months' time I will be posting For Sale ads for some of these beauties! Maybe you will want to give them a try then...? ;)

I definitely suggest keeping some shrimp...I would definitely recommend a Neo species, as they are much less picky about water parameters, and their young have no larval stage...like I said above, their babies come out just like Mom...only super teeny! You definitely need a pre-filter/sponge on your intake though, if you don't want your little shrimplets sucked up.

BTW, I also thought snail-keeping was not only weird but gross. Now I think my rabbit snails just might be the cutest things ever. Still not a fan of some of the other ones but the rabbits are sooo adorable.

I used to think keeping shrimp was strange too. But they really are fun to watch...my son and I can sit for quite a long time watching them do their shrimpy thing. Dwarf shrimp get to about 1" long, are very hardy (most of the Neocaridina species are at least), and and have babies that are teeny replicas of the adults...too cute! They also come in a huge array of colors! Blue, yellow, orange, red, pure white...and LOTS more. They are excellent tank cleaners (most of them) and are very peaceful. They hide quite a bit unless you have a bunch of them, then they get much bolder, even with fish in the tank. Mine even eat food that's right under the fish noses! Once you spend a little time watching them in a tank where they feel secure, which means you will get to see all their little amusing quirks, you will totally get how we can like our little shrimp so much!

I started with just a few RCS (Red Cherries) just to see what the fuss was about...and for some color and to clean up the substrate...about 3 months later I have over 160! They breed like rabbits! They totally ignore even my most aggressive fish and just hang out all day.

I am now breeding Blue Velvets, which have a beautiful bright blue color, and yellow-green eggs! They are a Neo species so you do have to separate them from other Neos (RCS) or they will crossbreed. They are in their own planted tank and doing very well...Again, I started with just a few, and now have four berried females! I'm sure in a few months' time I will be posting For Sale ads for some of these beauties! Maybe you will want to give them a try then...? ;)

I definitely suggest keeping some shrimp...I would definitely recommend a Neo species, as they are much less picky about water parameters, and their young have no larval stage...like I said above, their babies come out just like Mom...only super teeny! You definitely need a pre-filter/sponge on your intake though, if you don't want your little shrimplets sucked up.

BTW, I also thought snail-keeping was not only weird but gross. Now I think my rabbit snails just might be the cutest things ever. Still not a fan of some of the other ones but the rabbits are sooo adorable.

I might just have to pick up some of those cherry shrimps but I'm nervous my fish will eat them up... You've defiantly changed my mind about shrimp tho! I defiantly want to get some now but do you think my fish will eat them? I have tetras, gold barbs and a ram.

I have never had rams so I don't know too much about them. But I keep my RCS with tetras, gouramis, and loaches, and they do just fine. The adults will likely be left alone but you may end up losing some shrimplets...you just don't know until you try. Make sure you have lots of hiding places for them...moss really helps with the babies. I thought I would never see babies with my fish, but the colony is constantly growing. And like I said, don't just get a few (unless your tank is fairly small) or you won't really see them. You get get them at a place like Petsmart for around $3.99 (a little steep), or you can buy a bunch of them on AquaBid for around $1 each plus shipping...but usually you have to get a whole lot. Or of course you can look here for people selling them! I would be happy to send some to you for a reasonable offer...just name your price!

Back
Top Bottom