shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey i went and got my guppies today
and i saw somethings called g shrimp
i have to admit i have never seen them before
what can they live with( could they live with my goldies or could they possibly go in the tropical tank with my (new) guppies and blk skirts.
i tried to find them on fish profiles but was unsuccessful
tia
i dont know if this helps but they were only 10 shrimp for a buck

You probably saw ghost shrimp, which can be ornamental, but are often used for food.
Not sure about putting them in with Goldfish if the tank is unheated. Probably fine with guppies though in a heated tank.

Have fun,

ghost shrimp found them that would be the little guys sweet they might find themselves living at my house.

I put some in an unheated tank with goldfish. They did fine until the goldies uprooted their hiding place and had them for dinner. Just provide them with planty of cover and they should do well almost anywhere

Ya QuietDusk that's exactly what I was thinking when he asked if they could be kept with goldfish. First thought- they'd be eatin.

Ghost shrimp doen't need a heated tank as long as the temp is stable. They (like other shrimp) will die if there is any ammonia in the water. Good thing to do is to add marine iodine to the water to help their molt, it shouldn't hurt the other fish. You can put them in with the guppies and black skirts. Make sure they have plenty of hiding places and they get max 2 inches and usually live for about a year. They are also impossible to successfully breed in the tank. (You'll usually see the females with eggs but the eggs will never hatch)

They are cheap, possibly because they are sometimes used as food for larger fish. I had a spiny eel that loved to hunt them and eat them. 10 for a buck is a good price!

Back
Top Bottom