Shrimp questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How big do shrimps get? Is it bad to overfeed them since i want them to fatten up so my bigger fish (when i'll get them) wont eat these helpful creatures? other tricks?
thank you

If you mean Atya gabonensis, the vampire/African filter shrimp, they attain a length of six inches or so.

Exactly what species do you have in mind? Freshwater shrimp range from certain 3/4-inch Caridina spp. to the 26-inch Macrobrachium carcinus.

What fish do you seek to keep them with?

Veneer, first of all, you know WAY too much about Shrimp. Reminds me of Bubba from Forrest Gump :D

And can you imagine how disgusting a 26-inch shrimp would be?

Not as gross as I thought, it looks like a regular Lobster.

I have two vampire shrimp.....They are reall cool and do get up to 6 inches. They get a very deep blue color and are very pretty. The only down side is they like to hide a lot. Bamboo shrimp come out more often are are basically red with a cream color stripe down their back. Ih ave one and he's really cool and really active.

I would never put a shrimp in my tank, they look like water cockroaches. Too many legs too :?

heheh i come home from school and i see a carcass, my shrimp died, after i realise all 3 are there??did they shed skins or what?

Tap said:
heheh i come home from school and i see a carcass, my shrimp died, after i realise all 3 are there??did they shed skins or what?

Yes, most arthropods periodically shed - a normal indication of growth.

Ghost shrimp are very cool, but my fish eat 3 of the 4 I had. I saw them eating one of the poor things alive. Now THAT was grouse! :morning:

The one I have left is really good at hidding from the fish!

thats why i want to fatten mine up before. i'm thinking of getting a 2.5 gal and raising them, then put em in my "good" tank after

EDIT: is driftwood part of their diet? because i see them ofter on the driftwood... munching or cleaning it..

A 2.5 gallon is too small for even a single juvenile vampire shrimp. Your shrimp were probably gathering organic particles of some sort from the surface of the driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom