Shrimp Survival Chances?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I keep on changing my mind with shrimp, at first i was pretty set on the idea of getting a pair of bamboo's. I saw the tank of them at my LFS and found it interesting and quite funny how they feed from the powerhead.
Anyway i changed my mind as i couldnt guarantee that they would have access to ther water flow.
I changed my mind again when i bought a good piece of wood which fits nicely, directlty in line with the flow of water. Will the bamboo's find this feeding place with ease? It's pretty high up!

I'm pretty certain that a pair of bamboo's will be fine in a tank with a Bolivian Ram pair, 10 rummy nose tetra's and 6 panda corydoras. Also i might move my bristle nose pleco accross and i think she is fully grown now at about 3.5/4 inches. Is there anyone that thinks the bamboo's might get munched?

I'm thinking about getting some cherry shrimp aswell, i know these are smaller and would no doubt be tempting when they shed their skin and smell fresh but what are the chances of survival?
I'm not too confident that these would sruvive but it is just a thought at the moment. I think the Bolivians are the main threat aren't they? Also if i move the BN accross surely she'd pose a threat aswell?

TIA

If I recall correctly bamboo shrimp get about 3 inches long...is this right? I think they would be okay with these tankmates. Bolivian rams tend to be on the timid side and I seriously doubt that the BN pleco would go after them.
I had some ghost shrimp in my 55 gallon tank with GBR's (before the GBR's were in there) and once I introduced the GBR's the shrimp seemed to start disappearing. I do not think that they were being eaten however. It just seemed like they wouldn't come out as much during feeding time. Make sure you have planty of hiding spaces and plants for the shrimp. Moss of some kind would be greatly appreciated by them. I am not sure if the GBR's even saw the shrimp. They were spawning and one shrimp came VERY close to the eggs and was not attacked. This makes me wonder...

my bolivians LOVE to eat fresh shrimp...but i think bamboo shrimp may be large enough (they love amino and ghost shrimp)

Thanks for the replies guys.
Yeah i too think that bamboo's should be ok with these tankmates as they do grow to 3" long. I just thought my plec would eat a cherry shrimp if she had the chance, not necessarily go chasing after it but have a swipe if she can reach it.

Ah, that kind of throws a spanner in the works JDogg!
I would rather have no shrimp than nervous, scared shrimp. I will be planting heavily and i plan on having some groundcover and maybe some mossy plants on driftwood. Still i will more than likely just go for the bamboo's.

Are bamboo shrimp the aggressive ones or is that cherry shrimp? I would just double check on that to make sure there are no problems.

I would also go for the shrimp - if they live, you have a wonderful addition, if they don't, there isn't anything wrong with feeding your fish live food!

I read that bamboo's are totally harmless as they have fans instead of claws. So if they do show any aggression they wont be able to harm anything.

I would like a few small fish like oto's aswell as shrimp because i think it makes a tank more interesting, also i think it will help make the tank look bigger and also compliment my aquascape.

I suppose it would be a good meal for the fish if they do eat them, but it's an expensive one at that so i want to be at least 90% sure that they will co-exist peacefully.

I've never heard of any shrimp really being aggressive, especially bamboo's and RCS.

I'm not exactly sure what they feed on but you may want to research that a bit more. Shrimp like RCS just pick at little bits of algae/food, although I feed mine on purpose.

I have a ram and it doesn't care about the bamboo shrimp. In fact none of my fish have ever paid much attention to them. They should be fine in your tank. As far as RCS go, so long as they are adults you should be ok. I had my RCS eaten/half eaten and it caused a cycle, luckily LWB was willing to put up with me bugging him as i had to tear apart my tank to vacuum up RCS bodies and stabilize my water parameters. I think all my fish participated in the RCS food fest :D

Good Luck
Pleco

Burks - I read that bamboo's sift through the microscopic organisms that are sent along the tank by the powerhead or water flow. They will also eat flakes if they are small enough and normal fish food if they see it.

I did want the algae eaters to be oto's and cherry shrimp but now i think it'll just be oto's.

Pleco - That's exactly what i dont want, i'm now thinking about just getting the bamboo's because the cherry shrimp will be juvie's. I think they would be one edge even as adults with a pair of bolivians in the tank, i dont want shy, nervous shrimp.

Zenkatydid - I wouldn't trust my yo-yo's at all! They might be ok with bamboo's but i'm pretty certain that any cherry shrimp would be eaten in no time! I think they'd show interest in them as they are new but the biggest one would more than likely realise it smells good and is edible.

Yoyos decimated my Cherry shrimp population. At first they didn't even notice but then... By the time I realized what had happened, I was down from 50 to 4 and had to rescue them.

Back
Top Bottom