Shrimp tank question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ickletas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've just aquired a 14l (3.5usg) tank that is going to be planted (low light ie mainly mosses :D) with some shrimps. What I am wondering is if I can get away without a filter? I am expecting that it will mean I will have to do at least 3 x 30% pwc's a week but I am hoping that because the bio load is so small that it is do-able.

Your probably right, after doing a bit more research it would seem that I would have to pwc daily without any agitation and relying on the plants would be a bit too random for my liking. At least I can hide an airstone as the tank will be able to be viewed on all sides (which was why I was hoping not to need a filter, havent seen a pretty one yet lol)and clear tubing won't be too distressing for my delicate eyeballs :D

No you don't need a filter. Since your tank is so small, I wouldn't considering putting in an internal filter because it waste space. Just add some air bubbles instead and do pwc as you planned. Add more decor or gravel substrate for the beneficial bacteria to grow on.

I think I'm going to go for the air stone and water changes. PWC in a tank that size is hardly a mission, unlike my 260l lol

I wasn't talking about a large internal filter. I had a 2.5g that came with an air driven internal filter that worked well and was pretty small. At the least I would just make a tiny sponge filter to give the bb something to colonize on.

I've made various size filters with small plastic tubing and an aquaclear sponge filter insert cut to size. You can make them virtually any size you want. The air driven filter that I had on my 2.5 worked on the same basic premise, it had an uplift tube that drew water into it and passed it through a small filter. I think they sell them at walmart.

I am starting a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank and I am doing a diy sponge filter with craft foam from JoAnn Fabric and a small untake tube, air pump and line. I personally found it to be the most cost effective option.

absolutangel04 said:
I am starting a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank and I am doing a diy sponge filter with craft foam from JoAnn Fabric and a small untake tube, air pump and line. I personally found it to be the most cost effective option.

Is there any way you could put up a pic of your setup or instructions? I know a lot of people ( including myself ) would like a good idea to complete there own sponge filter.

Is there any way you could put up a pic of your setup or instructions? I know a lot of people ( including myself ) would like a good idea to complete there own sponge filter.
I will try to get on that tonight. :)
Otherwise, you can look it up on youtube too. I will still try to get pics up though.

Back
Top Bottom