Shrimp that would be good for Community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warthog76za

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I have some cory's, swordtail's (who I noticed are VERY curious) and guppy's. Would really love to have some shrimp in there but also dont want to cause any of the shrimp any unnecessary stress. If there are any that are capable of holding their own in a community tank please let me know(y)

If you have lots of cover, they may survive for awhile. Ghost shrimp are cheap... you could always throw some in... worst case, they are a healthy snack for your fish :)

Most of the colorful varieties (RCS, blackberry, etc) would not work out well.

If you had good enough cover and started with a large enough colony, the colorful varieties of shrimp MIGHT be able to maintain themselves. Any fish that can, will eat shrimp. There are some larger varieties than may be able to hold their own, and you could also get dwarf crayfish.

You could try any of the macrobrachiums, petco has some that they label bamboo and whisker shrimp. I have whisker shrimp and those grow fairly big (I have a 2'' one) and they will stand their own. They can be aggressive towards other shrimp though.

Alternatively, amano shrimp are also bigger than ghosties or rcs and are not aggressive at all. They are great algae eaters. I vote for 4 or 5 amano shrimp (I assume this is for your 25gal).

Try this site for research:
Petshrimp.com -- Freshwater Shrimp Hub of the world

You might want to see what is available in your area before you decide. At my LFS, Ghost shrimp are the only shrimp they typically carry. I have to travel 30-40 minutes to get to a bigger store and that store mostly carries amano and red cherry shrimp. I'd reccomend the amano and the ghost shrimp. Amano get bigger but ghosts are cheaper. I have five ghosts in my 37 gal and they hold their own with no issues even with my bigger tetra being in there.

I keep a colony RCS in a planted tank with guppies and cories. I'm sure I lose some shrimplets to the fish, but the fish and the shrimp keep multiplying. Lots of cover is the key.

Yesterday I ordered 5 Amano Shrimp as well as 2 Assassin Snails.Looking forward to my new additions.

Nice choices. You'll enjoy the Amanos. They are always out and about, very active shrimp and great algae eaters. :)

Just got word that the shrimp and snails arrive later today, so I just wanted to know, do I see that the fish in the tank are all fed, so they dont harrass the newcomers or how do I deal with the whole procedure when Im bringing in new additions?

Back
Top Bottom