Shutting off power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just found out that they are shutting off my electricity for about 6-8 hrs overnight this Monday. Should this be a problem or should I do anything to prepare for this.

It kind of depends on your tank setup and stock... Most tanks should be ok for just 6-8 hours, but if you have a heavily stocked tank with a tightly fit top you may have oxygenation issues. The bacteria colony will likely take a little bit of a hit too, but it should bounce back fine within the following week. If you're worried and it's not too late at night, do a water change midway through the outage. Not only will this give some water movement to bring oxygen to the bacteria in the tank, but also should raise overall oxygen levels since freshly added water is typically pretty highly oxygenated.

Beyond oxygenation issues, if your fish need really warm water (mostly thinking of rams or discus), you may want to drape a blanket over the tank to help keep the warmth in while the heater isn't powered.

Honestly you should be fine either way, I'm just paranoid and like to make extra sure :)

I saw no one had answered you so I thought I would help. You should be fine for that length of time. If you need to keep you tank warm you can heat water and fill plastic bottles and put them in the tank every couple of hours or so. Or wrap the tank in a blanket or something to hold the heat until the power comes on. You can also stir the top of the water every so often to help oxygenate it. You can also take a gallon jug, fill it with water, then hang it over the tank, you then punch a hole in the bottom of the jug to allow a drop of water to fall. The dripping water will help agitate the water and keep oxygen in the water. It works pretty well.

Have three tanks. One small one with a dwarf puffer. I have a lightly stocked tank with some nano fish and shrimp. And then a big 75 gallon which is in the middle of fish in cycling. What can I do with that one to not mess with the cycling. Should I buy airstones

The first tanks should be okay. The tank that is cycling will probably have a set back. The bacteria need a lot of oxygen to establish. If you have a way of running an air stone with the power off that would be great. I bought a battery operated air pump for each tank in case of emergency. They are loud as can be but work for emergencies. How far along are you in your tank cycling? IF you have just started it then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you are almost done than you may have a problem.

Have three tanks. One small one with a dwarf puffer. I have a lightly stocked tank with some nano fish and shrimp. And then a big 75 gallon which is in the middle of fish in cycling. What can I do with that one to not mess with the cycling. Should I buy airstones

The 75 gallon is the only one I would worry at all about. Either the battery operated air pump hooked up to a bubble wall/airstone as suggested, or the water change I mentioned should help keep the bacteria from taking too bad of a hit. Pretty much anything you can do to maximize water movement/oxygen exchange the better off you'll be.

Just ordered some battery air pumps. My 75 g that is cycling is At the point where ammonia is zero but nitrites are up. No nitrates are showing yet. Was gonna sleep at parents but if i stay at my place is there anything I can do. Would keeping aquarium lid off help. Got two filters. One an aquaclear 110. Other one is eheim 2215. Both have ceramic biological materiel if that till help.

Would pouring conditioned water into filters every 15 minutes help? Wondering if putting airstones in actual filter will help at all?

Back
Top Bottom