Shy Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my clown pleco for about 3 days now. Right after I put him in the tank, he swam under a little cave I have in there and now he never comes out. I have not really seen him since adding him to the tank except for the tip of his tail sticking out the back of the cave. Is this normal behavior? I know certain fish are shy, but this is ridiculous. It's almost like I don't even have a clown pleco... *sigh*

Well from my understanding, I believe pleco's are nocturnal? So maybe he's sleeping, plus since you just got him he's probably not adjusted to being in his new home yet, give him time I'm sure he'll come around :D

Puriti is correct, they are nocturnal. I have three plecos in our 150 and only ever see 1. He's the biggest and doesn't fit in any of the structures without his tail or head poking out. The other two are never seen except for every once in a while when I sneak up on them in the dark. I wouldn't worry. As long as he doesnt stay in the same place for over a day, then he's still alive. :D If you ever notice that he hasn't moved all day, then try poking him and see if he moves. Don't do it too often though. They don't like it. :D

If you can get a moonlight then you'll be able to see him at night when all the other fish are sleeping.

ya i have a pleco that hides in the cave i have in my tank and he never comes out when i am in the room. i have come in sometimes to see him darting back to the cave but he is never out cleaning while i am looking at the tank.

Mine does the same thing and always hides... sometimes you get to see them in the morning when you first turn the light on. But mine has grown a lot and looks awesome (In that 2 seconds that I actually get a glimpse of him! :)

Back
Top Bottom