Shy clown loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraceGish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got 6 clown loaches which I've had for a couple of months now but they never come out when the lights are on. The tank is heavily planted with plenty of hiding spaces but they just pile into a log and never come out. I've seen other clown loaches that are very active and confident! What can I do to encourage them out? They are far too beautiful to hide all the time :(

I've got 6 clown loaches which I've had for a couple of months now but they never come out when the lights are on. The tank is heavily planted with plenty of hiding spaces but they just pile into a log and never come out. I've seen other clown loaches that are very active and confident! What can I do to encourage them out? They are far too beautiful to hide all the time :(

What size is the tank? Clown loaches need a very high level of dissolved oxygen, warm water, and a high current rate. They should also be in a six-foot tank.

It's possible your clown loaches are behaving unusually due to a parasite. All clown loaches in the pet trade are collected in the wild. They could have internal parasites.

What size is the tank? Clown loaches need a very high level of dissolved oxygen, warm water, and a high current rate. They should also be in a six-foot tank.

They are currently in a 4ft tank (still very tiny) they will be going into the 6ft eventually. They are in 26c with 2 strong filters

They are currently in a 4ft tank (still very tiny) they will be going into the 6ft eventually. They are in 26c with 2 strong filters

Adding a power head would go a long way, to create a strong current along the bottom.

It's good that you plan to move them to a 6 foot tank.

It's no longer as active as it used to be, but the world's loach experts really do go to Loaches Online Forum • Index page

A number of published authors on the subject of loaches including such famous people as Martin Thoene go there. (he wrote TFH's "Loaches"). They can give you rock solid advice and tell you why your loaches are acting funny.

Adding a power head would go a long way, to create a strong current along the bottom. It's good that you plan to move them to a 6 foot tank. It's no longer as active as it used to be, but the world's loach experts really do go to Loaches Online Forum • Index page A number of published authors on the subject of loaches including such famous people as Martin Thoene go there. (he wrote TFH's "Loaches"). They can give you rock solid advice and tell you why your loaches are acting funny.

Wow, fantastic, thank you

Back
Top Bottom