Shy dwarf gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GingerMinusSoul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just recently purchased two dwarf gouramis for my 55 gallon tank, and they seem to behave very differently from my blue and opal gouramis. The blue and opal swim around freely and play etc. but the dwarf gouramis seem to be hiding. I've only had them for a day, is this normal? Are they just stressed about the new environment? Should I take them back because they're stressed?

I just recently purchased two dwarf gouramis for my 55 gallon tank, and they seem to behave very differently from my blue and opal gouramis. The blue and opal swim around freely and play etc. but the dwarf gouramis seem to be hiding. I've only had them for a day, is this normal? Are they just stressed about the new environment? Should I take them back because they're stressed?

Providing your tank is cycled and parameters are in check then I would say they are just getting used to their new environment. They may take a few days to a week to fully come out of their shell.

Keep in mind that blue and opal gouramis may attack or harass the dwarf gouramis

Providing your tank is cycled and parameters are in check then I would say they are just getting used to their new environment. They may take a few days to a week to fully come out of their shell.

Parameters are good, checked twice yesterday and once today. Everyone else in the tank is happy, so I guess I'll just wait and see if they start getting more comfortable. Thanks!

Keep in mind that blue and opal gouramis may attack or harass the dwarf gouramis

I haven't had a problem with them bothering my other fish, even when the mollies in with them had babies they mostly just do their own thing. If anyone is going to be a jerk in the tank, it's the mollies for sure!

This is totally normal if your water is fine my moonlight gourami when I got him went into hiding for a week

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't had a problem with them bothering my other fish, even when the mollies in with them had babies they mostly just do their own thing. If anyone is going to be a jerk in the tank, it's the mollies for sure!

But Gouramis , like Bettas usually attack their own species the most. Gouramis are territorial.

Your DGs might be ok or not. No Guarantees with Gouramis with other Gouramis. And 3 Spots ( including color morphs) can be the biggest jerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to mix opal and blue gourami with dwarf ones. It didn't go well. My dwarfs kept getting harassed by the bigger gourami.
I had
Gold
Blue
Opal
Pink kissing
They killed my dwarf gourami.
They never came out of there shell. :/

So far, all 4 gouramis I have are getting along well, actually. The dwarves are much less shy than they were and seem to be swimming around happily now! No one is fin-nipping and the gouramis haven't even changed their colors at each other really. I have changed their feeding so that they get food at different ends of the tank and that has kept aggression to a minimum :)

It really depends on the gourami personalities. Labyrinth fish seem to be especially variable in aggression and shyness levels. I've seen some that are totally brave and out in the open constantly, while others like to lurk until feeding time or breathing time (my sorority of blue/opal/lavender/pearl gourami are big fans of synchronized surface breathing trips ;) ). The DGs may settle and be brave, or they could be the more shy types, especially if they have larger tankmates. Just keep an eye on them for aggression issues, as already mentioned. It can work, just needs to be monitored well.

If one of the bigger ones tries to set up a territorial leadership then you will definitely have to look out for the DG's.

Gourami's can be ruthless.

Back
Top Bottom