Shy neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have six neon tetras in my tank and they are always hiding behind tank decor. Is that normal? Are neon tetras just shy fish? My tank has plenty of hiding spots. I also read that white gravel affects their behavior and I do have white gravel. Any general info on neon tetra behavior would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one side question, is neon tetra disease really common? I ask because since I found out about it, I am extremely paranoid about it! What are the chances of getting it?

Thanks!!!

Hi, I have six neon tetras in my tank and they are always hiding behind tank decor. Is that normal? Are neon tetras just shy fish? My tank has plenty of hiding spots. I also read that white gravel affects their behavior and I do have white gravel. Any general info on neon tetra behavior would be greatly appreciated. Oh, one side question, is neon tetra disease really common? I ask because since I found out about it, I am extremely paranoid about it! What are the chances of getting it? Thanks!!!
what up trick shot! That's odd, a small school should be out and about.. 2-3 would be more hidey but 6? Hmm what are it's tank mates? Ntd seems to be less common than just general disease, I lost 2 neons to a fuzzy white patch fungus thing, a third has been fighting it for a month and actually seems to be getting better, I've upped my wc schedule to a 40-50% every 5 days..

You should be more paranoids about ich than tetra disease. What's your tank size ? In smaller tanks like 10g, they tend to hide in the decor.

If they're newly introduced, wait for two weeks, they'll show up more.

what up trick shot! That's odd, a small school should be out and about.. 2-3 would be more hidey but 6? Hmm what are it's tank mates? Ntd seems to be less common than just general disease, I lost 2 neons to a fuzzy white patch fungus thing, a third has been fighting it for a month and actually seems to be getting better, I've upped my wc schedule to a 40-50% every 5 days..

Hey Brookster! Ok, now don't jump through my screen and slap me....I added 5 Dalmatian mollies! :D I have already adjusted my wc schedule to keep up :) so I'm wondering if that's why they are hiding, but they always seemed to hide even before the mollies. Since i read about NTD, I have been so paranoid about it because there is no cure :hide: I'm glad to hear that it's not as common as I thought :dance: do you think that they are just scared of the new mollies? They are all eating, so maybe that is why they are hiding?

It's like if you went to a big party and only knew your friend that you came with. For the first hour you would stick with him/her because it's a new surrounding with strange faces and then you would acclimate and get more comfortable

It's like if you went to a big party and only knew your friend that you came with. For the first hour you would stick with him/her because it's a new surrounding with strange faces and then you would acclimate and get more comfortable

That's a great way to put it! Now upon further review, I think it is because of the new mollies! Are Neon Tetras a shy fish?

I have recently added 4 new fish (in 2 groups of 2, 1 week apart) to my tank. My neons have loved the new additions and are getting bolder with each new addition! Maybe I just have party tetras ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have recently added 4 new fish (in 2 groups of 2, 1 week apart) to my tank. My neons have loved the new additions and are getting bolder with each new addition! Maybe I just have party tetras ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You got they party tetras and I got they little nerdy shy ones! Lol!

I have 10 neons in my tank and they tend to stay at the bottom of the tank unless it's feeding time. I also have 2 dalmation mollies and they seem aggressive compared to my other fish. I have 2 black mollies, 2 sunset platies, 2 gold/black platies, and 5 black skirt tetras.

Back
Top Bottom