siamese algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piranha

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked up 2 true siamese algae eaters to help control hair algae. It's been 2 weeks now and they don't even go near it. I've read that they eat hair algae. What a waste. They do enjoy the others fishes food though.

just another reason why fish should not be bought to do a "job". If they do that job its just a bonus. You should actually want that fish, do your research, know what you are buying.

Don't mean to be mean.

A picture ID may help with this one.

I visited my LFS today and they had lots of SAEs. The only reason I knew was from the thread I linked to above. They're great looking fish, but I can see now how they're easily mistaken for other fish.

What I bought is the true siamese algae eater. It has one barbel on each side of its mouth, the faint dark stripe extending through the tailfin. I've done all the research on how to distinguish between the true(Crossocheilus siamensis) and false(Epalzeorhynchussp.) or (Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus) algae eaters. I buy a fish for its look, or for its known characteristics. I found it is an untrue statement to say they eat hair algae.

lol I know what ya mean..been there before lol they do get quite mean when they get odler so be careful of that

I think you are thinking of flying foxes, tropic... true SAEs shouldn't get aggressive.

My SAE made quick work of the hair algae in my tank. It is like an eating machine. It has doubled in size and is really a little on the fat side. I have to be careful when I put in any zucchini or cucumber in the tank not to leave it in too long because I will usually find the SAE beached right in the middle of it looking stuffed.

Back
Top Bottom