Siamese Fighters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been persuaded by Daddy-o to get a Fighter.. Wasn't too keen on them at first but I've been finding them more appealing recently..

So, any particular precautions to take with them?

Any fish that definitely DONT mix with them?

Any certain food they eat?

Enhance my knowledge, you geniuses of the fishy world.

A 5 gallon tank would be best to provide them with plants and other decor. A sponge filter would be best in my opinion. They enjoy blood worms and brine shrimp. With tankmates, it's really a hit or miss.

Yeah the hit and miss thing is what I'm worried about
If I end up getting one it'll go in my 160l community tank

I see them at the shops every time I go and they have them in huge groups of 5/6 different species..

Why can't it be that simple :(

As long as you have floating plant cover a betta should be fine. Make sure tankmates aren't fin nippers like tiger barbs or serpea tetras.

I did have Serpae but had to get rid of them.. Far too much trouble..

As for the plants, we do have tall plants but all are fake, do you need real ones?

I did have Serpae but had to get rid of them.. Far too much trouble..

As for the plants, we do have tall plants but all are fake, do you need real ones?

Real plants are not needed. Make sure the fake plants aren't too rough around the edges and able to tear your betta's fins :)

They are really slow moving most of the time. They don't like strong currents :)

Compatibility issues? As long as the other fishies don't resemble the betta (e.g. guppies) or are fin nippers, they could be fine. But still, really thoroughly check compatibilities first :D

Well Goodluck on your betta :D

It depend on what you want
I have a 10 gallon planted with a betta, neons, glow lights, snails, shrimp, and african dwarf frogs
I also have one in my 55 gallon tank that has angelfish, skirt tetras, barbs, and other fish
BUT, I did try to add a dragon scale before this one, and it attacked every fish it could
So it's really a hit and miss
The one in my 55 is so chill, that I even have guppies in there and he doesn't mind
I personally would get a smaller tank like my 10 gallon, the one in the 55 gallon hides a lot, but the one in my 10 is out all the time

It just depends on the bettas personality some don't mind fish with long flows fins but others do my betta is mild but I haven't put him in with my guppies a good way to test their aggressiveness is to put a mirror in front of them if they don't really flare up they are most likely mild

Well I just went and got 4 Guppies and a Golden Gourami :)

Oh and I've gone off the Betta a tad..

Anyone know how to sex a Gourami?

Back
Top Bottom