Sick/dying fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have one fish that is swimming rather weakly. He is so weak in fact that he floated down to a plant and stayed there for a few minutes. He also kind of swims straight up to the surface and stays there. I have great surface agitation though because I have a HOB filter plus my sponge filter. Here are my parameters according to the Aquarium Lab test kit by NT Labs.

Ammonia NH3: 0.2 (tested twice)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0 (the test kit says they’re supposed to be 0)
PH: 8
KH: 4 or 5
GH: 15 or 16

What kind of fish? Are there any other symptoms? Any teammates that might be bullying him?

What kind of fish? Are there any other symptoms? Any teammates that might be bullying him?

5 Cardinal tetras, 5 lemon tetras, and 2 rasboras. His belly looks a little fat. My other fish are quite docile so I don’t think they’re bullying him.

He could just be bloated. Try feeding him a cooked peeled cut up pea to relieve any constipation.

He could just be bloated. Try feeding him a cooked peeled cut up pea to relieve any constipation.

He won’t eat though. I fed them today and he didn’t go after the food.

Your tank doesn't seem to be cycled with those readings or lack of a nitrates reading.

Hard to tell if your fish has internal parasites or bloating. First thing you could try is dosing the tank with Epsom salt. It's a natural laxative. Get pure Epsom without additives. Dose 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water.

Your tank doesn't seem to be cycled with those readings or lack of a nitrates reading.

Hard to tell if your fish has internal parasites or bloating. First thing you could try is dosing the tank with Epsom salt. It's a natural laxative. Get pure Epsom without additives. Dose 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water.

Epsom salt won’t harm my other fish or the Wandering Jew plant in my filter?

No. It's not really salt it's magnesium. Might actually help your plant before harming it.

Back
Top Bottom