Sick Molly??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New to hobby. 10 gal fully cycled tank with 2 Molly's, 1 Platy, and a glofish. All fish doing great except noticed one Dalmatian Mollys eyes looked possibly bulging last night. Today, his eyes are markedly bulging and covered with a thick cloudy film and he's hovering at the top of the tank. Also, he has a lot more black specks than he used to (Dalmation but hardly any white anymore) - and he has some orange spots around his gills that I don't ever remember seeing before. The rest of the fish and tank looks great. In all honesty, this fish looks like he's on deaths door. I just did a 20% water change as I normally do very 3-4 days. Anyone have any others ideas? I'm afraid he's gonna be dead before morning.

image-1485538438.jpg

The tank is kind of at its max and the fish in there like to have more of the same species in the tank. Mollies are poop machines and so are platys. Glofish are usually tetras which like to be kept in groups of 4 or 5. I would highly recommend upgrading to maybe a 20 gal.

Sure, I'll get right on top of that. In the meantime, all of my fish are thriving and healthy with the exception of one. The question was whether anyone knew what could be wrong with my Molly's eyes.

Looks to me like pop eye. Here's a link. Not to over criticize but the key word in the first paragraph that probably pertains to you the most is "suboptimal conditions". I'm really not trying to be harsh since you said you would upgrade as suggested to you earlier, but while you're treating this fish for its condition please try to find him and his tank mates a more suitable home so you can enjoy your pets and they can enjoy life to the fullest.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/popeye.php

Thanks, I'll check out the link. The attached is not a pic of suboptimal conditions. Puhleeze.

image-1568154619.jpg

Thanks, I'll check out the link. The attached is not a pic of suboptimal conditions. Puhleeze.

Like I said, wasn't trying to be mean, just that 10 gallons isn't optimal for the fish you have but can be easily corrected if you see fit. Good luck to you and your pets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom