Silicates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlubGlub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting tired of my brown algae. This tank started its fish less cycle on September 10th, had plants added on September 14th, and the first fish introduced on October 1st. It's now been 4 months. Am I past the being patient phase? Is there a silicate test somewhere that I can use to test my tap water? Why won't this stuff go away? A LFS didn't have a test and tried to sell me algae eaters which I don't want.

I thought I had the stuff beat at one point, but it came back. Nothing else added to the tank. I've been manually removing some from plants but I think I'm just stressing them. My anubias has turned a paler green, and I'm worried it's from me rubbing it down.

It may be time to step up the game a bit... you can test for silicates if you like. Salifert makes a silicate test kit. I don't know that there is a large benefit in testing for it though.

Consider some chemical and mechanical filtration additions for your tank... something like phosguard, rowaphos or phos-zorb will remove both phosphates, and silicates (the silicates will bind together, and mechanical filtration media like good filter floss needs to be used to actually get them out of the water column).

Hopefully, running it for awhile will take care of your issue, and get your tank cleaned out. If you are unlucky enough to have really high silicate content in your tap, you might have to run it indefinitely or treat your tap water prior to doing a water change.

Maybe try adding a few more plant. Marimo moss balls are cool and they will absorb excessive nutrients. Also try a blackout. Cut your light cycling to the minimum ammount need for your plants 4hrs maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually lighting won't have a big effect on diatoms... though anecdotally I have heard of it helping. Adding additional plants for nutrient uptake is always a good idea though, I definitely agree with that...

I am adding some flourish and iron weekly. Would cutting back on those help? I am planning to get some more plants too, just need to obtain them... If only local stores had them.

I don't think it would make much difference. The Fe for sure is not going to have an effect either way. There is a minimal amount of PO4 in flourish, so it could arguably make a difference, but not much. I would try some chemical/mechanical filtration for 2-3 weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom