Silicates Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kunthan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I am slowely solving algae problem one by one. now it is Brown Algae.

removing Silicate will remove diatoms level there by reduce Brown Algae...

is there a better way to remove Silicate from my tank ?

Any Suggestion to Remove

My Phosphate currect leave is .25 using APi test kit . I have JBL PhosEx in handly and unused ( which i bought year back ) CAn i use this , Will it remove Silicate like APi Phos Zorb or should i need to buy API ?????

Regards,
Kunthanraj

How long has the tank been set up?

Diatoms are a growing pain that nearly every tank goes through at some point. They also eat themselves to death so they will go away over time. If the tank is relatively new, i would just wait it out.

Tank is 1.5 years old , but 6 month i made a major scapeing change...

all my problem are after that :(

I changed the hardscape a little and moved from Sump to canister filter and changed my Lighting from normal LED Bulb to T5 light . aftre that star grass slowely started dying but monte carlo ,Rotala macrandra, Staurogyne started growing. this also made algae boom. as this plants are slow growing...

Length:48 Hight:24 Width:18
Light:- 216W ( 4X54WT5 Bulb ) 6500K

GFO will remove Silicate but only after it removes all the phosphate.
Honestly, It is not necessary. I had a silicate test kit for a while and did a lot of investigating. What I found was that both well and city water were loaded with silicate. All my aquariums always go through a brown diatom stage when I set them up. It goes away on it's own or you can use something like Oto Cats or Bristle nose Pleccos to eat it. The Fascinating thing I found is that once that stage passes, the silicate level in the aquarium drops to undetectable and stays there by itself. Probably why the diatoms do not return after the initial bloom. Perhaps others have had other experiences. For me, I don't worry about silicate or diatoms anymore. It is an easy problem.

Thanks for the Reply!!!

I was consern about the Brown Algae, so was planning to address this...

Any idea on JBL PhosEx ???

Back
Top Bottom