Silicon Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
okay, I was looking at getting some silicon but I am stuck. The silicon at the LFS is priced at $20 a tube. I can buy 100% Clear Silicon at the LHS for $6-8. I'd rather buy the cheaper stuff, but the only problem is the stuff doesn't state whether it is water tight silicon. It says everything else the LFS stuff says, but water tight.

I won't be using the stuff to make a tank, only to put in some glass walls and ramps and such. At most, I may use it to create a small stream. Is this okay or should I go with the LFS stuff that states it is water tight?

All silicone is "water tight", just make sure it is 100% silicone, no additives.

If you are planning to buy a silicone that is not from an LFS or says aquarium safe on it, then you want GE Silicone Type I - Door & Window. Completely fish safe. I have used it numerous times without issue. GL

Okay, will have to look for the Type 1, was looking at the Type 2 earlier. Anyone have issues with Type 2 just in case I can't find type 1. (Doubt it though)

From what I have been able to learn, the major issue, other than color additives, is the addition of a mold/mildew retardant. I'm told that you do not want this stuff in your tank. When you get down to reading the labels on the tubes of silicone, it seems that a great number of them have this chemical in them.

As was stated in a previous post, you want 100% pure silicone with no additives. Beyond that I don't think it matters what it is called.

STAY AWAY FROM TYPE II!!... type I is the one you want, type II spells death to fish.

Back
Top Bottom