Silly (?) Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broken-Lizard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey again, all.

A while back I posted a topic in the Freshwater - Getting Started forum about our new tank that we had gotten.

Well, I am very pleased to inform you that our 20gal tank and our two baby Black Moors (Goldfish) are doing splendidly, they've lived with us for about three weeks now. Everything is going great, we do water changes every week, test the water, and all that jazz, and the fishies seem to be doing great.

I also wanted to thank you guys for helping a tank-virgin out. =D

In any case, I just had a question, might be a silly one, but... Well, I was just thinking today as I watched our cats play with their toys, are there any toys for fish? I mean... Not TOYS per se, not like i'm going to drop a ball or a rubber bone in there (Haha), but are there any toy-like objects one can buy that the goldfish will like frolicking with?

Please forgive my ignorance, but yeah... I'd like to know. :)

Thank you, all, and thank you so much again for helping me out with my initial questions about tank+plants+fish, and so on. You were of great help. :)

/ Minda

My moors were pretty lethargic once they got to be older and bigger. They were never really active like the smaller fishes in my tanks. They just seemed to "float" mid level in the water. Unfortunatly, they both died after they both got tumors. No more goldfish for me.

I dont like goldfish myself but black moors are attractive fish.. If I had to have goldfish they would be close to the top if not at the top of that list!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Most fish will simply try to taste any object that you put in the water. If they can't eat it, they quickly lose interest in it. The only exception I am aware of is the oscar cichlid. This fish is extremely intelligent and will really play with objects like pingpong balls.

I'd say were sort of limited to changing the aquascape around from time to time to give them a sense of an environment change. Other than our occassional forays into the tank for whatever...they don't require any outside "entertainment". Or, perhaps, we just haven't discovered it yet.

I use a lazer pointer. It started out as a toy for my cat, but one day I ran it up the front of the tank and the beam went into the tank. The fish started trying to eat it while Nemo tried batting it around. Too funny. I don't know how Goldfish would interact with it though.

It was supposed to be entertainment for the cat. But I wasn't paying attention and let the beam go into the tank. Then it just reflected off of all the sides all over the tank and the fish kept chasing it, trying to eat the dot. It was too funny. Nemo didn't know what to do. There were so many beams. :D

I've used a laser pointer in my aquarium too. Both my angelfish and parrot fish attack the red dot, but they give up after a few attempts of trying to eat it.

I just noticed that my live plants shed a few small leaves, and they are floating at the top surface of the water. My betta is pushing the leaf around a bit and flared at it. It looked like he enjoyed playing with it for awhile. Since bettas are at the surface of the water a lot, he noticed it. Probably mid-level or bottom fish wouldn't, though.

Back
Top Bottom