Silly Silver Dollar & Colorful Female Betta (PICS!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
My silver dollars are so silly - and they're pigs to boot. Whenever I drop bottom feeder tablets into the tank, the silver dollars immediately grab them up and start carrying them around the tank! I am very careful that my cories get enough to eat, fwiw. I took a couple of pics of the silver dollars carrying the bottom feeder tablets. Also, our new female betta is unusually colorful, so I took some pics of her, too. She's the smaller red and blue betta (obviously, lol!). Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• Silver Dollar01.jpg
    Silver Dollar01.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Silver Dollar02.jpg
    Silver Dollar02.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 104
  • Betta01.jpg
    Betta01.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Betta02.jpg
    Betta02.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 107
Nice pics. Love the color on the betta as well...I'm very partial to female bettas and have kept quite a few of them in the past. Thanks for sharing.

Nice!

My two silver dollars act a fool all the time. I think they play cops & robbers sometimes.

Nice pics. Love the color on the betta as well...I'm very partial to female bettas and have kept quite a few of them in the past. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for looking! This is the third female betta I have owned. The other two did not do well in the community tank and died pretty quickly after purchase. I'm hoping this gal will do better in the tank. She gets along with my male betta very well so far, and he doesn't bother her or chase her, although they kind of hang out together. My other two female bettas were brownish in color, so when I saw this female with her blue and red coloring, I just had to buy her. I really love bettas.

Nice!

My two silver dollars act a fool all the time. I think they play cops & robbers sometimes.

Thanks!

Yes, that's a great way of putting it - cops and robbers! Mine zip around the tank all the time, especially when a human approaches the tank. I think they think that when a human is nearby that they're going to be fed :D

She gets along with my male betta very well so far, and he doesn't bother her or chase her, although they kind of hang out together.

How big is your tank?

Be aware that, IF they should mate, then the male will become extremely aggressive towards the female, and likely kill her unless your tank is huge (30 gallons+ and well-planted). No matter how well they get along now, after they mate and the male is guarding the nest, they become extremely intolerant of anything getting near it.

Just something to keep an eye on. If you see the male building a bubble nest on the surface of the water, start making plans to find a new home for the female, at least temporarily until the eggs are hatched.

How big is your tank?

I have a 40 gallon tank (technically a 37.5 tank), but it's not a planted tank.

Just something to keep an eye on. If you see the male building a bubble nest on the surface of the water, start making plans to find a new home for the female, at least temporarily until the eggs are hatched.

Thanks for the heads up :) I will definitely keep an eye out for bubble nests and aggressive behavior.

The silver dollars get pretty big, I had a couple that got 6", and I had them in a 55 that felt too small.

The silver dollars get pretty big, I had a couple that got 6", and I had them in a 55 that felt too small.

I know - quite a few people have commented on that whenever I post about my silver dollars. Before I bought them I put up a post asking for input on owning a silver dollar, and unfortunately I didn't get the warning before I bought them. If they outgrow the tank I will do my very best to re=home them. Right now they are about 1.5 inches. Thanks for the reminder, though :)

If you have pretty much any water movement on the surface, your betta won't be able to build a bubble nest, so I think you'll be safe.

Back
Top Bottom