Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Silver Dollar 55 gallon.

Hello everyone!

This is my first post, so please be gentel with me.

I'm thinking about a silver dollar species tank. How many Silver dollars can I put in a 55g? Does the one inch per gallon work with these guys if I measure their diameter (dorsal to anal fin)? Is a 55g too small? I DO NOT want to mistreat any fish so please don't sugar coat any bad news.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I think you could put 4 of them in a 55. I wouldn't go much more than that. They can get big quick.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

How big do they get? I think it's 5 inches in diameter, right?
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Up to 7" I believe. They need to be in groups of at least 3-4... 55 is about the smallest tank I would consider them for. You might get away with 5 if you are strict with your tank maintenance schedule.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #5

4 is just fine. Will they have enough room to swim around? I don't want them to get stunted.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I think 4 in a 55 would be healthy. You might get some differing opinions... I tend to push the stocking limits (hopefully responsibly).
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

I do too. But i've never had any sickness (in my fish tanks) worse than dropsy once in a while.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The bioload of SDs compared to other fish of their size is absolutely minimal. I do overfilter my tank by quite some way though (I have an FX5 on a 29, an FX5 on a 55 and another FX5 on a 75). My 75 has an Oscar, a Convict Cichlid and 13 (yes, 13) Silver Dollars. While I have every intention to upgrade to a bigger tank, I am not seeing any complaints from any of the fish about their conditions or available space. My SDs really love the safety in numbers aspect of their tank and they are (if anything) cleanup fish for the Oscar.

Here is a good video which shows the positive affect of me keeping SDs with an Oscar. But I'm absolutely certain also that SDs do not carry the bioload proportionate to their size. And with their size, they are less than an inch wide even when fully grown, mine spend their time eye to eye and all stay in the same area. The Oscar does not seem bothered in the slightest by the amount of space they occupy, and the Convict spends all his time in his hole.

Take a look.
DSC_2923 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 03-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

So, to sum up, what other fish do you have in your 55? If none and if you have very good filtration and do proper maintenance, I would actually say you could go with 10. Especially when you consider their growth pattern... They grow VERY quickly to about 5 inches and then slow greatly.

Just remember you either need a few small bottom feeders, or you need to feed the SDs very slow sinking food because mine never really feed from the bottom.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

And here they are eye to eye. Minimal space in the tank taken by the many fish:

Oh, and mine don't eat plants, either.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, inch per gallon, new tank, new tank ideas, new tank setup, silver dollar, silver dollars

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com