Silver Dollar fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale O Shea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ive been thinking about getting silver dollar fish but dont know alot about them, does anyone here keep them. ive heard they will eat any type of plant in the tank, is this through and what are nice fish you can keep with with and also will they eat flake food ?:fish2:

These are some of the first fish I ever had, but it's been a long while...

They are veracious plant eaters, which is why any tank I've ever had them in has featured rock work and plastic plants. Still though, I have heard there are some tougher leaved plants they won't eat, but I'm imagining not many.

They will still eat flake food, but I'd supplement that with some plant matter. Mine used to love algae wafers, even picking the whole things up in their mouths and swimming around with them.

They can be pretty skittish, in my experience not being as comfortable around overly boisterous fish. I remember even turning on the lights used to send them packing every which way...

You often see those dime sized lil' guys in the store, but keep in mind they grow to about six inches and like to be kept in groups, so make sure you have enough space to accommodate the adults.

Back
Top Bottom