Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Silver Dollar ID

ok I have 7 Silver dollars all sold as Metynnis argenteus, Which I'm now seeing as incorrect. (go figure) I've read the description of Metynnis argenteus, and none of the 7 fit the bill. Here is the best pic I could get.

2 (group A) of the 7 are different from the other 5(group B), if you look at the pic you can see that the fish are in a V formation of sorts with 4 on the left side and 3 on the right. the 4 on the left and the one at the top on the right are the same and the other 2 on the right are the same. Here is where I have the problem calling them Metynnis argenteus. from all the descriptions I have read Metynnis argenteus don't have red anal fins that curve away from the body and have silver tips as group B do along with a curving hook like dorsal fin that is also turning black on the front edges. Group A lack this anal and dorsal fin curvature and black coloring on the dorsal fin, also their soft dorsal fins are set on a hump if you will that is elevated off the curve of the body much more distinctly than Group B where as their soft dorsals sit on more of a continuous curve of the body leading to the caudal fin. I also notice that the caudal fins themselves are different where as Group A are more sweeping and a deeper v shape then the other 2. and the last thing I notice is that Group B body color is much more of a pure silver than Group A which have an almost black shade to them. Its not extremely important to know but lets face it I'm like a few of you out there that this will drive INSANE till I get it figured out. So I either have 2 different species of Silver dollar or its a sexual difference of which neither are Metynnis argenteus. Thanks!

EDIT: I also just noticed that the eyes are different. Group A have larger eyes and a much more prominent vertical black band going through the eye.

Tags
silver dollar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com