Silver Dollars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 150 gallon tank and was wondering if I could get some silver dollars in it. Does anybody know what these fish eat and how to care for them? Please tell me everything you know about them! Anything about silver dollars will be appreciated, thanks!

Facts I've learned about Silver Dollars

150G is perfect for a school of Dollars
They are fish shaped lawnmowers
They are the most neurotic fish you will ever meet
They do better in groups of around 6
I believe you can sex them from the colour of their bottom fin
They are good with most other fish
When they fight it's hilarious as it's like a whirlwind of silver
Make sure you have a roof as they will jump
Try to avoid anything with sharp/rough edges, as the dollars as so neurotic if startled they try to push themselves into the small gap they can. This often leads to scaring.

I've got a school of 6 dollars and they're fantastic :)

What size tank do you have and what do you feed yours??

Mine are in a 180G tank and get meals of flakes, shrimp pellets, algae wafers and blood worms. They prefer the pellets from what I've noticed.

Also what is their average size in captivity?

Not 100% sure on this sorry, I think they can get up to about 6".

My tank has a strong current. Like strong enough to suck small fish in so would Silver Dollars be ok in a strong current??

Ok but do you think they are good enough swimmers to not get sucked up??

Ok but do you think they are good enough swimmers to not get sucked up??

Well how strong is your current?

I have three filters that in theory give me 1,850GPH for my 180G tank and my Silver Dollars are fine.

I would estimate you'd almost need to be around 20 times your tank volume in filtration to start causing concerns...

I have successfully kept 6 silver dollars for around 7 years now.

Its strong enough to suck guppies into the overflow and I've never had silver dollars before so I don't know if they're good swimmers. (The current is to strong to keep Angelfish in the tank) I don't know the flow rate.

I've had 3 silver dollars for a little over a month in my 125g. They grow suuuper fast! I got them when they were about the size of a quarter. They are now bigger than 2 1/2" a piece. They are very reflective as well! I don't believe they have any trouble swimming as they can jet around from one side of the tank to the other in the blink of an eye. They get along well with all the community fish you can think of because I have a lot of them in my tank. No one bothers with them either. Very cool fish and fun to watch!

I would love a school of silver dollars. Hope you get some . ATM I'm trying for zebra plecs!

What did you feed yours? Right now I have blood worms(frozen and freeze dried), flakes, algae wafers, and shrimp pellets.

I feed mine tropical flake food and they love frozen brine shrimp!

Back
Top Bottom