silver dollars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey all, i'm getting ready to do my first tank (it's a 55gal) and have been doing a ton of research before setting up and cycling. i had pretty much had my mind made up on a community, then have come to find out i'll be "adopting" a 6.5" silver dollar so it doesn't get flushed :cry: . no problem, my pleasure really, but i'm having trouble finding anything but a couple pictures on these fish?? any ideas? anyone have any experience with them or have any tank mate suggestions? any ideas or info is appreciated! thanks - chris

6.5 inches is a bit large for a silver dollar, so make sure it is a silver dollar first. I've just heard of too many people trying to pass off Pacu as Silver Dollars. Don't know who you are getting the fish from, but make sure they are reliable before you take it. Pacu can get more than 3 ft long, silver dollars usually no more than 5-6 inches. A silver dollar will have no markings on it except maybe a red anal fin if it is male. A Pacu will be tainted with black or grey markings. Just a heads up. ;)

As for the Silver Dollars, they are very peacful fish, but are herbivores. They will munch plants, so a planted tank is out of the question. They also like a group, so you should look into 2 or 3 more when your tank is cycled. Otherwise, most any other fish can go with them. I have a small shoal of 3 in my 55 gallon community with two angelfish, some rasboras, tetras, and corydoras and they get along great.

Thanks for the heads up on the pacu, devlish, but i'm quite certain it is a silver dollar. the previous owner has kept him (yes, him, and he does have the red anal fin...cool!) for quite a few years, and is a good friend who wouldn't mislead me. good to hear they go so well in a community, i can't imagine rainbows would give him much trouble then either! thanx - chris

, silver dollars usually no more than 5-6 inches.
"Usually"
Theres one at a friends house of 11" so bigger is definetly possible.

They do go well in a community but they are omnivorous, not herbivorous...so they will eat smaller fish and crustaceans as well.

hth

Matty

you think he'll give a hammers blue lobster trouble? i was hoping to get one of those. my buddy had snails in the tank with him, they weren't bothered at all... -chris

Your friend has a Myleus rubripinnis, Red Hook, which is similar to a Silver Dollar, but not one your find normally at a pet store. That's my guess anyways. I've never seen a Myletes hypsauchen, or a regular Silver Dollar grow that large.

In my personal experience, they won't touch other fish. Never bothered any crustaceans, or bothered a soul. They are 3 years old now at about 4 inches. All fish have their own agression.

justrelax, I wouldn't add anything in with the Lobster. The fish can likely outswim it, but eventually it will grab ahold and snap at the fish.

devilish,
am i understanding you correctly when you say don't put the lobster with ANY fish? i have not bought one yet, so now is the time to find this out for sure, but that's a major bummer... i was under the impression they would be a good part of my community clean-up crew. i wanted to do something besides snails and suckers... i hear shrimp get eaten a lot... any suggestions?
found a pic of that red hook, that's him alright.. good lookin' out! glad to hear he won't effect my top stocking choices. you're right about them not being readily available, too. my lfs tells me a couple regular old silver dollars should make him feel right at home, though! thanx - chris

am i understanding you correctly when you say don't put the lobster with ANY fish?

Yes. Not a good idea. If you want a Lobster, set up a 10 gallon tank for him. It may be fine for a while with your fish, but will grow. If you kept only the silver dollars and no other middle or bottow dwelling fish, it may work...but it'd still be a risk, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom