Silver Maple wood in a tank okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to confess...my patience never lasted long enough to completely get rid of the tannins.

You can pour boiling boiling water over it--that's what I did with my one piece. If you run carbon in your filter, it will get rid of the tannins too.

That's what I'm doing, which is a pain in itself. It takes 30 minutes to bring 3.5 or so gallons (our biggest pot) to a boil, and I do that twice with each water change each evening.

I think I'll keep it up until my cycles done, then I'll probably put the wood in at that point, since I'd rather be able to "decorate" and redecorate before the fish get in.

I've been adding salt to the boiling water each time. Do I need to still do that?

Just read the article myself. I've had a piece of wood I cut from a tree in my parents back yard. It was living (obviously), and I let it sit outside for about a month. Then I used a knife to whittle the outer bark off (it was still green under), and let it sit another month in my basement near the furnace to dry. Then I began the bucket soaking. I just used normal hot tap water, weighed it down with a ceramic pot I used to have in the tank, and would change the water every 2-3 days or so. I've done about 5 changes now and still am getting tannins.

I have not used salt, but might shortly just for the heck of it. I don't really see the need to prevent anything growing on it since it will be treated when finished leeching.

I disagree with using bleach at any point. Hydrogen peroxide will give you identical results without any possible residue needing to be washed off. It's cheap too.

What I plan on doing once the tannins are no longer present is to boil the piece for an hour or so, change the water, try to get the rest of the bark off, if not let it soak more, otherwise, let it sit overnight in a bucket with a bottle of peroxide. This will ensure that anything living on/in the wood is dead (the boiling should have taken care of this though). Then I'll add it to the tank.

I'm pretty convinced through pouring boiling water and salt that I've killed off the bad stuff. So I could probably go ahead and add it to my tank. I'm at least going to let my cycle finish to not risk any more complications in that arena.

I'm just hoping to get as many of the tannins out as possible before then.

As a final step just to be sure I'd do a quick peroxide dip if I was you right before adding to the tank. (neilanh)

Never a bad thing to play it safe. What kind of dilution mixture for the dip? Or should I just pour the peroxide over it?

I would use whatever bucket you used to soak it and use 1 bottle per 2 gallons of water and let it sit overnight. That should be more than enough to sterilize it. I think peroxide is like $0.60 a bottle.

Back
Top Bottom