Silver-tipped Tetra tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smaug21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been meaning to ask about this on here for about a week, but school just started, a little over a week ago i "rescued" a school of Silver-tipped tetras from my brothers tank. Suficive to say, his tank was apparently too small (15g, but more importantly he bought a bunch of other tetras) and they would constantly bully and chase each other and the other fish, to the point where a few of them we looking down-right bad, just sitting near the bottom with less coloring in them.

He constantly complained about them, didn't want to take them back to the fish store (even though they cost him close to 20$ together i think) and even at one point jokeingly asked if i had room in the tank with my frog! :eek:

It turns out I wasn't thinking very well. About 5 or 6 weeks ago, i had finally managed to fit my 30g tank in my room and get it up and running, but all it was doing was soaking some driftwood and keeping the filter material from my old tank wet. I didn't originally think about it because it didn't have gravel in it yet, and i was planing on spending a bunch more money and upgrading the lighting and going all-out with a planted tank. A rescued dwarf Rabbit had kinda gotten in the way of that plan, so i had an empty tank, that i wasn't going to spend tons of money on for a long time (atleast untill after the summer), that had been basicly running for weeks.

Originally i was worried about them because i didn't have any gravel in the tank, but after relizing that the filter media was probably pretty cycled, and the tank was going to have a very light bio-load, and that i still had some gravel in a bucket in the basement (had to buy a bit more) i went out and filled up the tank with stuff and put the fish in. Now i'm thinking i'll just leave it the way it is, but i don't think 6 little fish is very much in this, seeming good sized tank. So i've been thinking, and i can't seem to find alot of info online about these particular fish?

Scince they didn't school with my brothers neon tetras, and yet school in my tank, do they school with tetras? or are they semi-aggresive like i read on one site and should be put with more aggresive fish like Tiger Barbs?

Will they chase smaller group fish? i was thinking about possibly a loach but i don't want to just chalk the aggresiveness up to the small tank and have them kill by a thousand paper cuts a slower fish.

On a more general note, (mostly scince i can't find two retail or otherwise that agree on size) whats a good pleco for a 30g, or is a 30 gallon still too small for all the Pleco's?

Money isn't a giant factor, so if there is something i need to get for these guys i can(like more of them, or special food etc.) but i still have limitations, like i mentioned above i took in a Dwarf rabbit that i need to buy things for.

So after this giant post, anyone have any suggestions for a Silver-tipped tetra tank?

Edit: i did want to edit in, the driftwood i'm soaking is going back in the tank. Both because i like the look of it, and it will make the water a little softer for my tetras, which i've heard and read they like. Just wanted to clairfy that as a reason why i'm inquireing about a pleco, because they like wood and i like them alot and think if i had one that was small enough this would be the perfect environment for them.

I think you've done a good thing here. In most cases, the things we put in our tanks are what appeals to our sense of aesthetics, not the fishes. LOL.

The silver tips will be fine just the way they are. They are "speedy tetras", so any other fish should be similar. How about some danios? You can get a pair of dwarf BN plecos for that tank. Easy on the budget and great fish.

Back
Top Bottom