silvertip being a jerk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slinkyredfoot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi everyone

i'm a new hobbiest, but a lifelong lover of tropical fish. i am absolutely LOVING my new hobby, as are my two small children, they are fascinated with the tank... and i must say, your site has been a wealth of information..

but i seem to have developed a problem...

i have a 26 gallon bowfront tank with 6 pristella tetras, 6 bloodfin tetras, a dwarf gourami, and 3 small cory cats...

i was in tmy local fish shop a few weeks ago to get some sinking food for the cats, and my guy had 3 silvertip tetras left from a batch, and said he'd give 'em to me for a song, because he thought they'd fit in well with my tank, and they may even school up with bloodfins... i obliged , and he was right... the silvertips schooled right up with the bloodfins, and all was good and right in the tank... for a while.

over the last few days one of the silvertips has become quite the jerk. he(she?) seems to have "hearded" the rest of the tetras to one side of the tank, and chases and bullys any fish that wanders out of that "zone" (he doesn't seem to bother the gourami or the cats).... it's kinda bumming me, and the rest of the fish, out..

is there anything i can do?... i keep on thinking: " why don't the other 14 fish just kick his ***?!... there's only one of him and 14 of them?!... organize and show him who's boss ******!!"...

i have read that getting more may calm him down, but i didn't want to rush to judgement...

any advice, o sages of the substrate?

thanks,

slink

Welcome to AA! One thing you can do for starters is arrange the decorations in the tank and do a water change. Sometimes moving the territories around can make a huge difference in aggression.

cool!... i shall re-arrange the rocks and see what happens.... thanks for the tip bub!

but if that doesn't work, i'm gonna organize an intervention for the silvertip...

".... first, i want to say that everyone in this tank loves you, BUT....."

cheers,
slink

Back
Top Bottom